Chapter Twenty Four: Retaliation

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Did they hurt you?"

- JJ Maybank

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

Pope didn't say anything when they got back to the boat. Abigail helped him sit on the seat in front of the steering wheel, before turning to find the first aid kit.

She opens it on the counter, rummaging through to find something for his head, since it was still bleeding. She grabs a cotton pad, turning around to face Pope but he shakes his head, putting a hand up to stop her.

"Pope, you hit your head on a rock—"

"I'm fine." He says, pushing his hat back onto his head, keeping her from helping him.

She sighs, suddenly exhausted, so she turns back to the kit, closing it and putting it back where she found it. She turns back to him again, as she notices tears brimming his eyes.

"Pope..." she walks over to him, gently putting her arms around his shoulders. She leans her head against his.

"I'm sorry."

She pulls her head back quickly. "Pope, you have nothing to be sorry for. This wasn't—"

"I know, I know..." he begins, sighing. "But, I'm still sorry."

She gives the boy a small smile, leaning forward to press a kiss against his cheek. She pulls back, keeping one hand on his shoulder.

"You sure you're okay?" She asks, locking eyes with him, squeezing his shoulder.

He nods. "I'll be fine...Are you?"

She sighs, nodding, as she glances up the dock, waiting for the blonde to appear. "JJ's gonna lose it."

"Let me tell him." Pope says.

Abigail furrows her brows, but doesn't have time to object, as she suddenly hears his voice.

"Abs! Pope! Guys, you are not gonna believe what just happened to me, man! Whoo!" He shouts, running down the dock, towards the boat. Abigail moves away from Pope, as he stands up, and starts up the boat. She takes a seat on the counter. "That was the best 100 bucks I've ever made!" JJ says, as he jumps into the boat, walking over to pull the anchor up.