Chapter Thirty Seven: Bittersweet Reunions

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Look at me, Abby...I'm nothing."

- JJ Maybank

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

Abigail gets home to an empty house, and she's thankful for it. It's already felt like the longest day, and it's only one o'clock, she doesn't want another run in with Gram.

She hops in the shower, letting the water wash over her entire body, and soak through her wavy hair.

The image of JJ being placed in the back of the cop car replays in her mind, memories of last Thanksgiving looping in with it, bringing fresh tears to her eyes. She allows them to fall, mixing with the cold water coming from the shower head, her fear for the blonde growing by the minute.

She's not sure how long she sits under the water, but it gets unbearably cold, and she knows it's time to get out.

Abigail wraps the towel around herself, walking out of the bathroom and into her closet. She throws on a pair of clean shorts and a tank top, glancing at the green dress hanging on the rod.

She lets her hands run over the material, a small smile on her face, before she hangs it on the door. She walks back into her closet, pulling out the only pair of heels she owns.

She walks over to her dresser, towel drying her hair as best as she could so she can start braiding her hair. Through the mirror, her eyes land on the crewneck folded on her bed, and the red hat.

Once the braid is finished, Abigail turns to her bed, grabbing the grey crewneck. Her thumb rubs over the material, before she brings it to her face, feeling tears fall from her eyes again.

Abigail can't believe this is really happening. She wishes she would've let the boy stay in bed. Because then he wouldn't have been there to take the fall for Pope.

And she knows it sounds wrong, she doesn't want Pope in jail either. Neither boy deserve it, but JJ doesn't deserve to suffer the consequences for something he didn't do. And she knows JJ, she knows that the worst part isn't even getting arrested.