Chapter Thirty Eight: Party Face

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"See something you like?"

- Rafe Cameron

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

Abigail doesn't mention seeing JJ when she gets into Kiara's car, afraid that if she brings up the boy, she'll tell her friend everything and she wasn't ready for Kiara to know. She wasn't ready to hear "I told you so", either.

They drive back to Kiara's house, the curly haired brunette talks about how happy her parents were when she told them she was bringing Abby with her. Abigail furrows her brows, surprised by this. The Carerra's were always nice to her, but they made it perfectly clear that they didn't agree with their daughters choice of friends, specifically the boys. Abigail wonders if they're only excited because Kiara isn't fighting them on going like she usually does.

Now, the two girls are in Kiara's room, helping each other get ready. The girls took turns doing each other's makeup, before Abigail helped Kiara pin her curly hair into an updo so she can put on the flower crown headband her mother had requested she wear.

"You're gonna look like a real kook tonight with this thing." Abigail jokes, adjusting the headband on her friends head.

Kiara chuckles. "I wouldn't joke, Abby. She made one for you, too." Abigail's face falls, which makes Kiara laugh.

Once Kiara's hair and makeup is done, she helps Abigail with her hair. They pull her red hair out of the braid from earlier, revealing nice mermaid waves. Kiara runs her fingers through her friends hair, adjusting the curls, before placing the flower crown on her friends hair. It wasn't the same as Kiara's, this one was actually a crown of small, white flowers.

Kiara smiles down at her, resting her hands on her shoulders. "You look so pretty, Abby."

Abigail smiles, bringing her hand up to Kiara's. "So do you, Kie."

"We're both gonna look like a couple of kooks." Kiara jokes.

Abby chuckles, standing up. "Hey, Abby..." She turns to Kiara. "I just...I really missed you." Kiara admits, a confused expression crosses Abigail's face. "I know you already forgave me for ghosting you guys, but...it means so much to me that you just accepted me back, no questions asked—"