Chapter Nine: Dead Body

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Someone on the outside looking in, would think there was more going on."

- Kiara Carerra

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

"Well, that was fun. Could've warned us a little sooner." JJ says, leaning back on the bow of the HMS Pogue.

Once the coast was clear, John B, JJ and Abigail climbed back through the window and rushed out of the motel. The boys would've just climbed down, but JJ knew there was no way they were getting Abby to climb, especially after he nearly knocked her off the roof.

They quickly made their way back onto the HMS, and Pope drove them out of there, and further into the marsh, before anyone said anything.

"We would've, except Pope was on the math team." Kiara says, a playful smile on her lips.

Abigail chuckles, as they all turn to face Pope. "No..."

"You were on the math team?" John B asks.

"The cops took everything like it was a crime scene." Pope says, ignoring their amusement. "Did you guys find anything?"

"Did we find anything? No, I don't think so." JJ says, pulling the gun and a wad of cash out of his pockets. "Oh, yeah, we did."

"What the hell?" Pope exclaims, jumping out of his seat.

"Dude, what!" Kiara says, her eyebrows furrowed, as JJ stands up, walking over to Pope.

"Dude, chill. Come on—"

"Why would you take that from a crime scene?" Pope asks, panicking. Abigail rubs her forehead, shaking her head.

"Better than the cops having it, bro." JJ defends. Kiara turns to John B.

"You serious?" Kiara asks, John B's smile immediately drops.

"I'm gonna lose my merit scholarship." Pope says, turning to Abigail. "You were supposed to make sure they didn't steal anything."