Chapter Forty: Back in the G-Game, Baby

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Oh, you know, just watching JJ drool over you."

- Pope Heyward

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[present day]

JJ does end up finding John B after all, but he finds something else, too. A suspicious truck parked out front of the Chateau, watching the house. Neither boy can see whose in the truck, but they don't stick around to find out. They sneak into the marsh, to the dock, so they can escape on the boat.

Once John B gets them to a safe place, he tells the boy everything he's learned in the last 24 hours. Well, almost everything, neglecting to mention Sarah Cameron's involvement.

JJ fills him in as well, also leaving out some key details. He tells his friend about the showdown at the movies, and the restitution he now owes for taking the fall for Pope, and the conversation he had with Peterkin.

The two boys get in a little spat, JJ accusing his friend of losing his mind and putting himself, and the rest of their friends in danger. But, John B ends up convincing the boy that it's worth the risk, that the gold is out there and it'll make all their problems disappear.

Part of JJ knows this isn't true, that it can't be true. He shouldn't let his friend suck him into his delusions. But, there's this other, small part of him that has hope, which he doesn't have often. Hope that his friend is right. Hope that 80 million dollars worth of gold will help him pay his restitution, and maybe have a better life.

So, JJ follows him blindly when John B tells him he has a plan, and he needs his help. Which is how the boys end up pulling the HMS Pogue on the beach, at the country club.

"Can you believe this Midsummers shit, man?" John B comments, JJ snaps his head back to him.

"Of course I can. Happens every year. No matter how screwed up the rest of us are." JJ says, duffel bag hanging from his shoulder. Both boys begin walking up the sand, towards the club. "So, like, what's the plan exactly?" JJ asks.

In the Dark ~ j.m¹जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें