Chapter Thirty Two: Pogue Therapy Session

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"Abby, why would you stay with him?"

- Pope Heyward

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

[July 2019]

Abigail doesn't say another word the entire ride back to the Chateau — no one really does. Pope keeps his attention on the dark road in front of him, driving slower than the speed limit because they're underage and they were drinking and he's always paranoid they'll get caught.

John B remained seated on the floor in front of her, but he turned his gaze to the front, not wanting to overwhelm the girl with stares. He leans his back against the seat she's sitting on.

JJ also shifted his position, but he kept his eyes on her for most of the ride, only averting his gaze for a few seconds at random. One hand remained on her knee, the sudden urge to just touch her and make sure she was actually there much stronger than its ever been before, as his mind plays the punch on a torturous loop, his blood boiling.

When they finally arrive at the Chateau, John B is the first one to move from the backseat. He opens the sliding door, and hops out, but stands right outside as JJ follows him out. Abby hesitates before following them, JJ extends his hand to help her out. Usually she'd shove him off and roll her eyes, but she feels drained and she's afraid she'll fall over and worry them even more, so she takes his hand as she steps out.

The four teens pile into the dark, empty Chateau quietly. Big John was away for a few days, chasing a lead for his Royal Merchant research, so John B had the place to himself.

Abby takes a seat on the pullout couch, sighing, as John B flicks on the lights in the living room, unsure what to do next. He glances over at Pope, who feels as lost as he does right now. When the boys look over at JJ, he's just staring at Abigail, waiting for her to say anything. She's too busy typing something on her phone to notice the three sets of eyes on her.

John B walks into the kitchen, opening the freezer, when Abby finally puts her phone down and looks up. She sighs, finally noticing the eyes on her. She runs a hand through her hair. "Why don't y'all take a picture, it'll last longer."

"Abby, we should talk about what happened tonight." Pope is the first brave one to speak up, JJ forcing his mouth shut so he doesn't say something he'll regret, because his mind has gone to a super dark place, and he doesn't want to startle the girl with his anger.

"There's nothing to talk about, really." She deadpans.

"I think there's a lot to talk about, actually..." John B trails off, bewildered by her statement, as he walks over, handing the bag of frozen peas to Abby. The girl takes it, slowly placing it to her cheek. She flinches slightly as the cold bag makes contact with her swollen cheek, but she tries to hide it.