77

Groaning my hand found my throbbing head as I rolled onto my side. Lifting my heavy lids I gazed at the empty space beside me. The muscles in my arms and back screamed as I sat up. A gasp escaped my lips as the room spun so violently I had to shut my eyes. The sound of my heart beat felt like someone slamming inside of my head and as I controlled my breathing my eyes slowly opened and I froze staring at the familiar bare wooden wall. A row of perfectly made twin sized beds draped in blankets ranging from thin and faded then plush and vibrant were across from me. Everyone's financial situations were on display and no one cared.

We were all the same.

I knew this room, it was the unit 16 cabin, I could hear the crickets outside, the musty smell of mildew from the rain a few days ago lingered in the air. Looking to my right Amber's bed was draped in a beautiful pastel pink plush blanket. Looking to my left Corey's bed was covered in a thick black blanket with a single red stripe. Crunchy, fading white stains were still visible on the fabric, emphasizing Corey's favorite pass time. My gaze fell downward where my hands were free of ink and the cast I was sure of was still there. My thick fleece blanket was striped with black and yellow as it covered my legs. At the subtle thud of heavy footsteps on the tired wooden floor caused me to freeze as my gaze shot the door.

Bright sunlight streaming from the door caused my eyes to squint but I knew the silhouette of the man in the doorway. I didn't need to see his face.

" You're just going to sit there?"

Sergeant Kennings barked impatiently, and immediately I was filled with a feeling of shame. My hands balled weakly as I tried to see his face. While I believed my dad was dead Sergeant Kennings was the closest thing I had to a father figure. Tony and Leon were often there but who really wants to be close to their ex's dad or close to the man that sent you to this hellish place to begin with. Kennings had high expectations of me and when I didn't meet them I felt ashamed of myself.

Now I was seeing him, I could practically smell his cologne but I knew it wasn't real. There was no way he was really here.

I hadn't been here for long and I was already losing my mind.

" You're not here" I shook my head

"Does it matter? You're spiralling Mia" he sighed disappointingly.

"I'm f-" I spat glaring at the silhouette

"Stop it!" Kennings barked so loudly a ringing echoed inside of my head. " You are not fine Mia! You've been suffering for a long time now. You've been repressing and allowing yourself to be soft. This isn't who you are. Your family is going to come for you, are you going to let them die?"

" No" grabbing both sides of my head I shook is stubbornly.

" No? It doesn't look like you're doing anything to stop them, you've given up without trying"