73

I know you are a bit confused so let's go back in time for a moment

10 days ago

   Kaleb...

Kaleb why does this keep happening to us. Gripping my arms, my dry lips part as I try to inhale. The air is cool but dry and it hurts to breathe but I already know it's not because of the air. The devastating pain in my chest is from my heart shattering all over again and it wasn't completely healed from the last time. As perfect as Kaleb and I were together, it never seemed to last. Now to make matters worse, I was drawing attention to myself, walking down the cobble stone sidewalk barefoot, in my white dress more than a few had taken notice of me.

But still I keep my head down, looking at my manicured toes as my feet get dirtier and dirtier.

" Mia?"

The deep voice didn't belong to Kaleb, a bell chimed soon after as the deep murmurs of other men flooded the air. It didn't matter to me who it was, it wasn't anyone I even cared to speak to. So I kept going but soon a rapid session of words being spoken in spanish were said and I heard the frighteningly fast steps approaching from behind. The tiny hairs stood on the back of my neck but I knew it was Dario, he wasn't the type to just let you ignore him.

"Mia!"

Now it wasn't a question if I heard him, he was demanding that I heard him. Soon I felt the smooth tips of his fingers brush against my skin. Like a flash fire, anger roared in my chest and I immediately spun around slamming my hands into his chest.

" Leave me alone!"

A mixed emotion of anger and confusion flooded his face as he gazed back at me.

" No, I don't know if you know where you are, but you need to be going to the estate"

" I am not going back there!"

" So where are you going to go?! Huh? You're a fuckin foreigner in a place you can't even speak the language. It's not safe out here, you'll get yourself killed or worse"

" So what"

Dario scoffed. " So what? Don't you care for your own life?"

" No, and why should I? Trying to hold onto anything good in my life is like me trying to grab air. It's impossible and now Kaleb has someone pregnant, he's not mine. Not fully but I'm supposed to deal with that and be a part of a family that wouldn't even notice if I died."

" What? What are you talking about?"

" Don't you get it Dario? My life is a continuous cycle of bullshit, your family fucking hates me and now I have to fight to be with the man that's supposed to be my husband?"