51

                       J's Soul Food was one of the best restaurants Dyvercity had to offer. Everyone knew it and even with it's popularity it was the only one in the whole city . A family owned business and was unfortunately located in one of the most notoriously rough parts of Dyvercity. In the heart of the Southside with the colorful graffiti scrawled on the side of the building. The art could almost be considered a mural.

It was an absolute gem

But fortunately for me I'd been here before, this was dad's favorite place and this was also where I met Rodney and his best friend Raheem for the first time.

It was the first time in years that I came back so I doubted that anyone remembered my face.

The parking lot was crowded regardless of the faded parking lines and pot holes that littered the lot. Older men and women stood on the sidewalk out front of the building smoking cigarettes and talking amongst each other. A younger group of guys with a few girls mixed in were joking and laughing loudly, as they stood around flashy sedans and SUVs with limo tints. Their outfits were high quality brands just like the shoes on their feet. Several of the guys wore glittering watches or chains and almost all of them were covered in tattoos.  They could have had a bright neon sign warning people to  stay away from how people stayed at a safe distance. They had the same effect Nick and Kaleb did and everyone that pulled into the parking lot, went out of their way not to cross paths with them.

It was a smart idea until they started to notice but so far it seemed to only be happy vibes that surrounded J's today. Everyone was enjoying the unusually warm weather.

" It's been too long" Dad smiled over at me as he unbuckled his seatbelt. " Have you been back?"

Unbuckling my seatbelt I shook my head. " No, the last time I was here... I came with you.."

A frown came over his face as his movements slowed. " Mia-"

I lifted a finger at him. ''Do not lecture me,  you made me a daddy's girl and for the past three and a half years I thought you were dead. Thinking of you made me depressed and so I avoided things that made me think of you. Except when other things made me depressed then I went to your tombstone to talk to you. Now I feel stupid knowing that you weren't even there" I chuckled looking away from him.

Dad stayed quiet for a second as he tried to think of what to say.

" You couldn't turn to your brothers?"

With a bitter chuckle my eyes rolled. " A lot  has changed Dad, Josiah is gone and I'm not going to put false pretenses on a ghost. But as for your other sons they weren't people I could trust three years ago and they're still not. You wanna know what the saddest part is?"

" What?"

" Even after three years you are the only male in my life I can trust including Michael" with a sigh I climbed out of the car.