We're all crazy here

Staring out of the window I hugged Nick's jacket around my body. It was just beginning to rain but the large drops barely had a chance to land and only left clear streaks as Nick cut through the streets like a silver bullet. He didn't say anything to me, he didn't push me to say anything and we rode in silence. Almost silence his phone continuously rang and the ringing echoed throughout the car every time the girl Alily called and Nick ignored it. A flash of light reflecting off of the rearview mirror caught my attention and my eyebrows immediately came together.

" Fuck"

Nick muttered as his gaze followed mine in the mirror, we were being followed and they weren't even trying to be subtle about it. There were two sleek sedans with limo tints and as they darted in between the traffic they grew closer and closer as such a speed that Nick and I didn't have to exchange words cause we knew. They weren't rushing to bring me my purse.

He glanced over at me worryingly.

" I'm going to get us off of the main road and when I turn the engine off I want you to run down one of these back alleys and hide"

I watched as he lifted his right arm and swiftly opened the armrest retrieving two beautiful, black Glocks with a single silver stripe running along the side. He laid one in his lap and the other he gripped in his right hand.

" And do what? Watch you die for afar?"

He scoffed, casting a look of distaste in my direction. " If I weren't so offended by that my feelings might've actually been hurt. Now look this is the"-

" No" I spat incredulously as I felt a flare of anger.

" Mia" he stopped himself and his jaw ticked as he restrained the words that threatened to spit from his mouth.

" Do not fight me on this, I will not lose you again. I just had to save you from a panic attack and I doubt-"

" That I could protect myself when given the right equipment?" I held out my hand. "Don't doubt me Nicholas, that panic attack was brought on by my own mental struggle but this " I gestured towards our pursuers. " This is something different, just let me prove it"

Gently Nick rested the barrel in my palm but never let go as he turned off of the main road.

" If you get hurt I'll never forgive you" he stated sternly and he slowly made his way down the eerily empty road of Dyvercity's entertainment district. It was made up of theaters, diners and boutiques that only the older residents frequented. As the car crawled to a stop one of the pursuers pulled up alongside us while the other pulled up behind so that we couldn't back out onto the street.. My heart thumped heavily as Nick took a deep breath and glanced over at me.

" Stay in the car"

Before I could say another word he climbed out of the driver seat and closed the door behind him before leaning against it. Just as I unbuckled my seatbelt the flash of another set up headlights reflected off of the glass fronts of the buildings. An SUV, matching the two sedans joined us and as my irritation grew I climbed out and looked back at Nick from the other side.