Duty

(So, you know me and my random ideas. I was thinking, you know how doctors and therapists and other profession tend to suffer from lack of empathy after a while. Well, Dream deals with making sure people are happy so, I decided that it would be fun to see what Dream would be like with a lack of empathy)

Dream's POV

If I'm doing everything right, why doesn't it feel right?

I skip another rock into the pond. I don't understand, I'm doing everything right. I picked the right side. I didn't hurt anyone. I do my duty. I protect and keep people happy, that's what I'm supposed to do. My purpose is to care and protect.

I'm not sure why I feel this way. I'm not even sure how to describe it. I feel empty, like I just can't care anymore. After so many years I've seen so many terrible things. Its become part of the job, to listen and see all these awful things. That happiness I felt from helping people is gone. I just feel anger, that I can't help, that they have to go through these things, and I just don't care. 

I can't care anymore, its too hard. Everything is so messed up and broken, nothing I could ever do would help. I'm not supposed to feel like this. Being the guardian of positivity, having to cheer everyone up, its a part of who I am. If I can't feel the emotions I'm sworn to protect, what does that make me?

Does that make me a failure?

I want a break. I can't do this every day for the rest of my life, but that's what everyone wants from me, that's what everyone expects of me. It's what I expect from myself.

My feelings never mattered. This is about what's best for everyone else. 

Why didn't anyone tell me how hard this was going to be?

I have a responsibility to everyone. As long as they're happy, then I did what I needed to.

------------------

I've got nothing else to say, see ya, imaginary people.