Breaking Point

(Made a a part 2 to the Medieval Time AU. If you haven't read it, I suggest doing that)

(More disturbing things. Probably going to end up really sad like the last one)

2 months later

Cross's POV

I watch out the window. I haven't left this house since Nightmare left, but I will soon. I'm almost ready.

I told Dream I wouldn't use my magic but just this one time, I need to break my promise. It's funny actually, I can finally use my powers for what they're meant for.

That stupid king will pay. For Dream, For Nightmare, and for everyone that has magic. They won't fight back, so I will, alone if I have to.

I've been studying and gathering my strength. Now I just need a little help. I take the black leather book out from the box. The cover is decorated with silver wire in a double-ringed circle with 13 triangles placed around it like a sunburst. It also has a keyhole on the strap holding the book together.

I take the key that is hidden in my locket and open the book. I've already memorized this page, but I don't want to screw anything up.

I never thought I'd use this spell but I never had anyone important enough to use it for before now. Now, I just need my unwitting volunteer.

If I could just use my powers for this then I would, but I can only reanimate the dead, not being them back to life. It's not the same. So, a life for a life.

And once I've exacted my revenge here, I'll go find Nightmare and we can all be together again. Won't he be so surprised!

Nightmare's POV

"Nightmare... Nightmare"

I haven't heard that name since I left.

"Nightmare"

I haven't heard that voice in even longer. A glowing yellow orb appears in my vision.

"Dream"

"Nightmare, you have to go back. You have to stop Cross."

"What do you mean? Why do I need to go back? What's Cross doing"

"I don't have time to explain, just go! I can take you to the woods but you need to go!" The yellow light expands, engulfing everything. I blink, the light fades and I'm standing in the woods, near where I used to live.

The house is empty, but there's a dark purple cloud forming around the castle. Oh Cross, what have you done?

Dream's POV

I'm back. It's too late.

I look around. I'm standing in a circle of blood. I don't know what all the markings on the outside are of.

Dead bodies have been flung aside like discarded puppets. They aren't recent, they've been without life for a long time. Cross must have used his powers to control them to help him invade the castle. It makes me sick to know he's left them there to rot. They deserve some respect at least.

Cross hugs me, his jacket still slick with fresh blood. I push him away.

"Aren't you happy to see me?" His voice almost breaks. "I did all of this. It's safe for anyone who has magic now. You, me, and Nightmare, we can all be together again. Isn't that what you wanted?"

"Not like this!"

I need to run. I need to find Nightmare. I start to run but then I'm frozen. My body won't move. I can't talk either.

"I can have control over people I bring back to life. Please don't make me control you."

Nightmare's POV

I finally get to the castle. Cross is in the courtyard with.........Dream.

"You're back"

"I'm here to stop you. This is wrong, Cross"

"If you didn't want this to happen then you shouldn't have left. But we're all here. Stay with us. You can help us rule"

"No. Didn't you hear me? This is wrong"

He makes a few quick step towards me, and hugs me. His grip tightens for a bit and then I feel the pain in my back. He stabbed me.

Cross's POV

I remove the knife and sit down, cradling Nightmare. Teas start dripping down my face.

"I'm sorry....... I'm so sorry....... Well be together again soon.......... I promise........... I'm so sorry.......... I love you"

You didn't learn from the first time?

This can only end in sadness

Not all endings are happy