Corruption

(So, I might have listened to a lot of Steven Universe songs while writing this. I honestly just love this song and it's the one I listened to the most while writing this. So yeah, song is not really related but a but stuff in this one-shot may have come from other Steven Universe songs)

Someone's POV

My eyes shot open and I find myself in a dark room.

Where am I? What is this place? This is your home. Don't you remember? It's dark and I can't see anything. "Where are you? Who are you?" The voice speaks again. I'm here, I'm you. I can hear the voice but it's almost like it's just on my head. You can't be me, I'm me.

But I'm a part of you. You can't leave me, you can't forget me either. "I won't let you." That time it sounded like the voice spoke out loud, not in my head as it had been. I know that voice almost as well as I know my own.

"I remember drowning in the dark. You left me" I didn't leave you, everyone else did. I kept you safe. YOU TRICKED ME! And you let me...

You remember, don't you? You didn't have to do it. I never forced you to... your friends your world you didn't admit it but you hated them so I got rid of them for you. So this "It was all your fault"

I curl up in a ball with my knees pressed against my chest. I don't..... I couldn't..........no... But it's true, allow me to show you... He used his magic to transport us inside my memories

(Memory 1: Many Years Ago (Still Nightmare's POV))

We're in front of the tree but no one is there. Then a runs past us and sits under the tree. I remember this day. Just like I expected Dream came over and talked to him.

Young Dream: "What's the matter, brother? Are you ok"

Young Nightmare: "It's nothing, Dream. Go back and play with your friends, I'll be fine"

Young Dream: "well, If you're sure." He smiles and hugs young me. "See you later," he says before running off.

The memory fades to black

(Memory 2: sometime after memory 1)

We're in another memory, this one I remember very well. I'm a bit older this time, curled up in a ball under the tree, crying. This is the time I got beat up by those kids. At least what happened after that. I didn't think you'd want to see that again. "Thank you" He just shrugs and turns his attention back to the memory so I do the same.

I can't hear it but I know the voice is whispering, trying to get me to give in to the darkness. To let it take over me. I know now that the voice was his.

My younger self reaches up to the dark apples but hesitates and doesn't touch them. "Why am I even watching these memories, what's the point?" What are you trying to do? Once again he doesn't answer me, we just enter another memory.

(Memory 3: Many years after memory 2)

This time it's a memory that I don't remember. This isn't one of my memories. It's mine. It's from the time my body was corrupted when he was in control of me. We're in the castle, surrounded by a lot of people I don't recognize but I know all their names. Killer, Dust, Cross, Error... Why... Why do I know them? "You share my memories. I can remember everything you do, just as you can remember everything I do" I can feel the emotions from this memory, I feel feared and powerful and accepted.

But I know this is wrong.

"Just show me the next memory"

(Memory 4: Not long after memory 3)

Another memory from the corruption. This one in the ruins of an AU with my teammates. I destroyed this place. It feels so wrong but so right just to think that.

"Nightmare?" I know that voice too. But it couldn't be. And yet he's there in this memory, after I thought he died.

"Dream, but how?" 

"He can't hear you, Night. This isn't real" I know it's just a memory but Dream hasn't aged a day since the last time I saw him.

"Brother, this destruction has to stop." It's so strange to hear words come out of my mouth that I don't even remember, but I do remember it.

Corrupted me: "You don't understand, Dream. How could you ever understand my pain?"

"I understand you a lot more than you think. Just stop this. We can be a family again, you and me."

Corrupted me: "I won't stop"

"Then I guess I have to fight you, but I know you can change"

(End of memories)

We're back at the tree, but this time it's different. Everything is destroyed. Seeing these memories, it makes me so confused I want to hate myself, I want to hate Corrupted but I can't hate either of us. I'm just me and he's just him.

I can't even look at my ruined home without feeling sad and happy at the same time. Corrupted puts a dark apple in one of my hands. "What do you want to do?" The anger that is normally in his voice is gone, replaced by something that I can't describe.

This is what he was playing at the whole time. He wants to know what to do since now we're seperate. I stare at the dark apple before looking back up at him. I let it fall from my hand onto the ground. "Let's just stay like this. We don't have to be the same person anyone. We can make our own choices" 

"If we're making our own choices then, I want to chose to stay with you"

"I guess we go back to our teammates then" For the first time in either of our memories Corrupted smiles. 

"I guess so"

-------------------

That was pretty long. It was fun to write but I really should continue working on the requests I have. See ya, imaginary people