Error's Guide to Coming Out (Part 1)

(They in high school and they're humans)

Error's POV

As a homosexual, I often get asked how I came out of the closet to friends and family.

Everyone has their own time and place and way that's right for them to come out.

But, if you're having trouble you can learn from the example of me and my friends of what (not) to do.

We'll start with my friend Lust. He is the definition of a Twink. He wears knee high heel boot and revealing clothing along with having a full face of makeup, thick black eyeliner and obvious lipstick being the most noticeable.

There is no way you can be in the same general area as Lust and not know he's gay.

Though, I do have a funny story about someone who was playing the longest game of 'No Homo' I've ever seen.

It was after school and Lust, Nightmare, and I were at the coffee shop. An older man noticed us sitting at a table and very rudely interrupted our conversation.

"So, which one of you brought your girlfriend?"

We were understandably confused. "None of us?" I said.

He pointed at Lust. "Your mother lets you out of the house dressed like that?"

"Yes, and by the way, I'm a guy."

"Young people these days, always dressing weird. Why would any self-respecting man dress like that?" We had a collective moment of 'Is this dude for real?' before Lust spoke again.

"I wear this because I like it"

"It's extremely un-manly" At this point, Nightmare and I are just laughing because there's no way this guy is serious. "You're never going to get a girlfriend like that"

"I don't want a girlfriend"

"Why not? Every man wants a girlfriend."

"I'm GAY! G-A-Y GAY! A bloody homosexual!"

The man looked very embarrassed and walked away. From that point on, Lust always made sure to have at least three rainbow items visible on his person. 

--

Sometimes, it should be obvious but other times, it's good to ask. As a general rule, if you don't know someone's sexuality or gender ask.

I was hanging out with Geno in the library during a free period. Geno has always dressed pretty gender-neutral and has two lip piercings. I wasn't sure what I should call them so I asked.

"What's your gender?"

"Guess"

"Are you a boy?"

"No"

"Are you a girl?"

"No?"

"I give up. What are you?"

"I'm a bitch"

--

Sometimes, coming out is done in less than ideal circumstances.

I was driving Blue home from his track practice. It was late and we went past a bar, where we got pulled over by the cops. I started immediately started freaking out.

"Error? Are you ok? What's wrong?"

"I'm gonna die. I am so dead. They're gonna shoot me."

"What? Why?"

"Because I'm not white and not straight!"

Blue hugged me. "It's ok. You'll be ok."

After a bit of a freakout, the cops had me take a field sobriety test and then sent us on our way. I've avoided that road at night ever since. 

--

Some people like to take the more subtle approach of letting you know that they are queer. Blue is one of those people. He constantly dyed his hair and was super supportive of all our friends regardless of everything. He compliments guys a lot, but he compliments everybody. To be honest, we just thought he was an ally.

One day, we were sitting at lunch, discussing cute people.

"That boy two lunch tables down is cute. The one with glasses," Blue said. Everyone got really quiet and looked at him. He looked as confused as the rest of us. "What?"

"You like guys?" Lust blurted.

"Yeah. I thought you all knew already."

If your parents are supportive, come out to them as soon as you feel comfortable. That's what Cross did. I wasn't there for this one, but he told me about it.

He had just gotten home from school and had been debating the best time to tell his mom that he's gay. "Mami?"

"Si?" The rest will be translated(paraphrased) from Spanish since that's the language Cross uses at home.

"I've been thinking for a while and I want to tell you something."

"Go ahead. Speak your mind, child."

"I was planning to tell you sooner. I like men."

"Ok"

"Nothing? No reaction?"

"Son, as long as you can be an independent adult then do what pleases you. You will never not be my child"

--

More people accept homosexuals than accept transgender people. It's sad. We're making progress but a lot of trans people don't feel safe being themselves. You should never feel scared to come out to your friends, if you do, maybe you need new friends.

It might be hard, but try your best to get someone's pronouns right. I've never seen anyone happier than a trans who was correctly gendered.

I knew Outer longer than the rest of our friend group. I thought I would be the first one to know about any big changes but apparently not.

I was out with everyone at a track meet. We don't really care about sports, but we were there to support Blue.

"I'm going to the concession stand. You all want anything?"

"Nope. How about you ask Outer if he wants anything?" Ink said. I blinked a few times. This was the first time I had ever heard Outer referred to as a male and the first time I had heard that name. Ink immediately looked like a deer in headlights.

Outer had the same look. Ink started apologizing.

"It's ok," Outer said. "He had to learn sometime." He turned to me. "I'm trans. I realized it only a few months ago"

"The name is new" is all I could get out. "I like it"

He smiled at me. "Thank you. I didn't think you were ready for such a big change especially since I've been more trying it out to see how it feels."

"And how do you feel?"

"I feel a lot better as a guy."

"Then that's what I'll refer to you as."

He smiled more and actually started crying. "Thank you"

We hugged. He was so emotional. I even cried a bit. Just feels all around. 

---------------

This isn't quite halfway yet, but it's almost midnight and I want to post something for the first day of Pride Month. Even quarantine can't stop us from celebrating, don't think of it as canceled, just moved to online. Part two sometime very soon. See ya, imaginary people.