143 🩺 Reconsidering

Later that night, swirling his scotch around in his glass, Yunho didn't even turn when San slipped into the bar stool beside him.

'The usual,' San said to the bartender, giving him a friendly nod hello before giving Yunho his attention. But the moment San's eyes fell on him, Yunho felt his gaze fill with concern. Yunho didn't even have to look to know San's brow was furrowed and lips slightly parted with worry.

'Yun, what happened?!' He immediately moved forward, putting his hand on his shoulder.

Yunho looked down at his hand, wondering whether he was supposed to shrug it off.

'D'you remember the doctor that ended up being the reason my mother were fired from the main hospital?' As he glanced up, he saw confusion fill San's gaze.

'Y-yea? Wwwwhy?'

'He did the dodgy again today and threatened me when I told him he should own up.'

'What the fuck did he do this time?'

Yunho swirled his scotch in his glass before downing it all in one go. 'The woman went in for a partial lobectom- to have some of her cancerous lung tissue removed, and he fucked up in the surgery. It could have been a relatively easy recovery, but of course he didn't want his fucking pride being docked, and so he battled on, not allowing any assistance, his hands got shaky and he knicked an artery. She lost two liters of blood and had to be transfused, but had a systemic reaction to the blood and now she's in ICU.'

'Jesus christ. That bloke needs a bullet.' He took a sip of his devils drink. 'You saw?'

Yunho nodded slowly. 'Mmmhm.'

As the bartender put another drink down before Yunho without him even needing to ask, Yunho tossed him the largest bill in his wallet. 'Keep the change.'

'It's on the house.'

'Well then keep it all.' Picking up the glass, Yunho wanted badly to down it, but he also knew that he'd likely end up drunk and get kicked out. The last thing he wanted, was to end up going home pissed as a nit.

'He needs to be shot between the eyes. I assume he didn't disclose?'

Anger rolled through Yunho. 'I checked the notes. It was swept under the mat. Nothing anywhere. Poof. Magically disappeared.' He made a hand gesture to match his words, feeling sick to his core.

'Just like last time.'

'Just, like, last time.'

Fuming, Yunho sat back and groaned. 'I never want to become a doctor.'

'Yun you don't have to be like him.'

'Yeah but I have to associate with people like him.'

'For your degree.'

'And my residency years. I can't do that. I can't pretend I didn't see anything. What happens if that had have been you or my mom or dad on the table? It's not right.'

San gave his shoulder a rub, before sitting back. 'I know I always say that you go through your moments from loving to hating med, but Yun... maybe it's time to give med a wave goodbye...'

A long pause ensued, and Yunho didn't know how to feel, apart from winded...

'Yun I know you love it - I know it. I've seen your passion. I don't care how many times we end up here talking about how you hate it. I don't care. I know you love it. But Yun, you don't love med. You love helping people. And there's a lot of other ways that you can help, outside of the theatre...'