98 🩺 Confidence Boost

As Hongjoong nervously walked a short line into the hallway from his pacing, he looked up to see Seognhwa walking towards him.

Hongjoong immediately froze.

'Hyung. What are you doing out here?' Seonghwa asked.

Hongjoong bit hard into his lip as he glanced towards the door. 'Seonghwa, I don't know if I can do this...'

Confused and frowning, Seonghwa glanced between the room, and Hongjoong. 'Don't know if you can do what, exactly?'

Hongjoong walked over to the wall out of sight and slid down until he was sitting on the floor. He rubbed his hands together nervously, before running them roughly through his hair.

'Uh, Hyung?' Glancing up and down the busy ward hallways, Seonghwa moved and decided to slide down the wall next to him, despite there being chairs literally right there. 'What's wrong? What happened?'

Hongjoong took a shaky breath. 'Wooyoung wouldn't let Kim Sa Bu cannulate him again. His first ones were done while he was asleep in surgery, but he needs them changed and he wants me to do it.'

Seonghwa nodded slowly as he turned to Hongjoong.

'I don't know if I can do that to him, Hwa. I know cannulation isn't that bad, but it is to him, and he's scared and I-' he took a massive breath, nervously rubbing his hands over his knees.

'You don't want to be the reason he's in pain. Right?'

Hongjoong nodded slightly, looking down.

'Hyung, he trusts you to do it. He doesn't trust anyone else. He needs the IV line, and you're doing him a whole world of good by giving it to him.' He reached out and rubbed Hongjoong's shoulder. 'You'll be fine.'

Hongjoong glanced up, his eyes sparkling with worry. 'Would you be able to do it? If it was San or Mingi?'

Seonghwa nodded. 'If I had to, I would. I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't hesitate. I would put on a brave face, smile and make sure I did the best freaking job I've ever done in my life.' Rubbing his back, Seonghwa suddenly extended his arms out and put them around his shoulders, letting Hongjoong fall against his chest. 'I'm not working today. I'll stay here.'

Hongjoong glanced up. 'You don't have to...'

'I want to. I already told you. When you're being brave and looking after your Dongsaeng, someone needs to be here, looking after you.'

And Hongjoong smiled. 'Thank you, Seonghwa.'

'Any time, Hyung.'

~~~