9 🩺 수술 시작

Yeosang rubbed his eyes against his shoulder, feeling the now familiar sting from being awake for more than thirty hours and counting. He'd only just made it to the on-call quarters, fingers brushing the handle ready to open and go inside, fully intending on having a much needed sleep, when his phone buzzed with a hospital alert in his pocket. Groaning, he retracted his hand and turned, trudging his way back into the depths of the hospital.

Making his way through to the theatres, he scrubbed up, starting to feel the early set in stages of lag from exhaustion.

'Kang Sonsaeng, are you still on?'

Yeosang looked up from the sinks where he was busy scrubbing his forearms with the soap, to see two people approaching him, one of whom being one of his seniors, Han Sonsaeng, wearing a green set of scrubs and a little blue surgical hat. He kicked the lever under the sink to trigger the water and began scrubbing up as the other doctor, a guy maybe a year or two older than Yeosang, nodded respectfully and followed suit.

Yeosang nodded back before returning back to focus on his scrub. 'On call, so yeah.'

'I assume you are scrubbing in with the GS team? How are you finding the rotation?'

Yeosang shrugged, nodding as he kicked the lever to trigger the water to rinse his arms. 'It's fine...' He looked around to see whether there were any other people around. The walls seemed to have ears around these parts. 'Are you assisting the surgery? I thought you were speech pathology?'

Han Saeng followed suit, kicking the water lever before scrubbing up again. 'No no, you're right. Doctor Kim is leading. Myself and Park Sonsaeng will be observing.'

'Oh?' Leaning back a little so he could see around Hang Saeng to the other guy, Yeosang saw the doctor turn his head to him. He nodded respectfully in acknowledgement.

'I thought it was just an appendix...'

'Oh it is. Shouldn't be too tedious. Doctor Kim asked me to sit in since we've been doing some work together over the past months. I wanted my student to see Kim at work.'

And that made sense to Yeosang. 'He really is something.' He was by far the best surgeon that he had ever worked with, and he would be lying is he didn't suddenly feel a spark of excitement within him upon hearing Kim Sa Bu would be leading the surgery.

As though summoned from thin air - something that seemed to have a habit of happening in the theatre halls, Doctor Kim emerged from around the corner, a goofy smile on his stubble covered face. 'Evening everyone. Han Sonsaeng! Green suits you,' he teased, kicking the tap to scrub up, 'but I think Kang Saeng takes the cake.' He winked, making Yeosang smirk. He was always so quirky, and that was one of the many things that set him aside from every other doctor he'd ever met.

'And who may we have here?! You must be Park Seonghwa.'

'Yes, thank you for letting me observe this evening. I've always wanted to witness your work, it's an honour.'

The passion in Seonghwa's voice was evident, and Yeosang smiled internally. It was refreshing to see more than a couple faces filled with passion, despite the late hour.

'Oh nono! Park Saem! The pleasure is all mine. Have you met Kang Saeng?' He looked over at Yeosang who nodded.

'Oh good. I'm sure you'll cross paths some time. Speaking of time ...' He looked around. 'Kang, looks like you're the only one who can read a clock. Do you want to be first assist? Show me what you can really do?'

Yeosang's eyes widened a little as he looked at his senior. Suddenly, he was wide awake. 'Me? Be first assist... Lin Saem wouldn't like that...'