99 🩺 Wtf How is this story so long

Deep breaths, Hongjoong thought, as he washed his hands. Taking the water as hot as he could handle, he wanted to make sure his hands were warm and free of pathogens that could potentially harm Wooyoung.

Turning around, he could see Kim Sa Bu smiling encouragingly at him from the bedside, while Yeosang cradled a very scared Wooyoung in his arms.

The poor boy was terrified, and Hongjoong couln't blame him - not after everything he'd been through in his lifetime.

Smile.

'Woo, hun, you don't need to worry. I'm going to make it really quick, and it'll be over before you know it.'

'I don't care if it's long. I don't want two of them...'

Hongjoong's heart melted as Kim Sa Bu chuckled. 'You're quite determined.'

Wooyoung nodded shyly, heaving a deep, yet shaky, breath.

Taking his kidney dish of bits and bobs for his procedure, Hongjoong sat down beside Wooyoung. 'Woo, hun, is your arm all nice and warm under the blankets?'

Wooyoung nodded. His terrified eyes darted up to Yeosang, who just patted his head and whispered words of encouragement in his ear.

'Good~.' Retrieving his hand, he inspected his veins, trying desperately to hide his own panic.

You can do this. It's to help him.

'Just going to clean it, okay? Has San visited this morning?'

'Y-yes...' he responded, his breathing becoming more and more shallow as he panicked.

'Oh yeah? What did you talk about?'

Hongjoong picked up the needle and uncapped it.

'I- I was as-asleep, a-a-and...'

'Shhh,' Yeosang cooed. 'Deep breaths. Look at me.'

Doing as instructed, Wooyoung looked at Yeosang like his life depended on it.

'Okay, Woo. Deep breath, small sting.' Hongjoong breathed in with him, and just before the exhale, he inserted the needle into his skin.

Wooyoung stayed deadly still, his eyes squeezing shut tightly.

'See, hun. That wasn't so bad, was it?' Yeosang asked, brushing his cheeks.

Wooyoung refused to move anything other than his head, which shook ever so slightly, no.

And as Yeosang distracted him, Hongjoong inserted the cannula and removed the needle in one skilled, fluid movement.

'All done, Woo~.'

Smoothing the new dressing over the top, careful to make sure it was extra secure to prevent extra pain, Hongjoong heaved an enormous breath, one that caught everyone, bar Wooyoung's attention.

Yeosang nodded and mouthed good work as he hugged Wooyoung against him, and Kim Sa Bu gave him a small wink and nod.

And finally, Hongjoong could feel himself relax.

Moving the kidney dish aside and dumping the sharps, Hongjoong washed his shaky hands again before returning to Wooyoung.

The scared blonde leapt from Yeosang's embrace to his, and tears spilled down his cheeks. Digging his face into his chest, Hongjoong laughed a little, hugging him back. 'Now didn't we tell you it would be fast?'

Wooyoung nodded against him, and Hongjoong smiled, mostly at the feeling of Wooyoung's embrace becoming stronger.

He's getting better, Hongjoong breathed, digging his cheek into the top of his head. Please, let him keep getting better.

~~~

A/N: I fainted directly after doing this the first time, that's how fucking nerve racking it is. Jesus christ, legit am having flashbacks writing this lol, i think I can taste my anxious butterflies