43 🩺 Great Then. Good

Hongjoong yawned as he wandered into the on call room down the hall from his usual one. Opening the door, he was already mid action of taking off his coat, which had meant that he didn't see the people sitting around the desks until it was too late.

He jumped, having been scared the hell out of.

'Ooh, Kim Saem?'

He looked up to see Seonghwa at one of the desks. Around him were three other guys dressed in scrubs, one with his nose in a book, and the others stuffing their faces hurriedly with food.

'Evening guys,' Hongjoong replied, hanging up his coat.

Politely nodding in response, the other guys looked between Seonghwa and Hongjoong. 'Hyung, you know him?'

'Yeah.' Seonghwa nodded casually, and Hongjoong was a little surprised at how chill he seemed around the others. He was full of surprises.

Seonghwa grabbed his phone off of the desk and shoved it in his pocket as he stood up.

Hongjoong raised an eyebrow. 'Park Saem, you're in scrubs?'

He nodded as he walked over, hands in pockets. 'I assisted in GS earlier. One of their doctors fainted.'

Hongjoong's eyes widened a little. 'Student?'

Seonghwa nodded.

'Ahh, I see...'

'I'm going to go get coffee. Wanna come with?'

Hongjoong almost choked on the casual language that flowed from his mouth in front of the others that were all staring at them with confused and slightly terrified expressions - probably expecting Hongjoong to snap at him for talking down.

It made Hongjoong smirk a little. 'Sure~.'

Seonghwa nodded. 'Sweet.' He turned to the others. 'Subin-ah, if anyone touches my stuff while I'm gone-'

'Take em' out with the hardcover Surgical Foundations?'

Seonghwa smirked as he winked. 'Exactly. Took me forever to find my page again last time.'

'Lit. See you later.'

Seonghwa waved before opening the door for Hongjoong before following him out.

The moment the door swung shut, Hongjoong laughed. 'Ho ho hooo, Seonghwa~ You are forever surprising me.'

'I did say I wasn't awkward all of the time.'

'Yes I quite remember you saying that.' The two fell into step as they made their way to the coffee dispensary machine. 'How'd the surgery go?'

'Good. Was just keyhole. I barely did anything it was great.'

Hongjoong smirked as they kept walking.

'Oh, I forgot.' Seonghwa pulled his phone from his pocket and held it out to Hongjoong.

'What's this?' he asked, idly reaching up and taking the mobile.

'I thought I'd ask for your number. You know, in case you get locked out and stranded again. Did you end up finding your keys?'

Hongjoong cringed. 'Sang had them for god knows what reason.'

'Ahh. I see... And your other roommate?'

'A mystery. He just texted that he was out for drinks with a work colleague.'

'At ten thirty at night on a weekday?'

Hongjoong shrugged. 'I have no idea.' Swiping up on the phone, he was met with a lock. 'Passcode?' He said, holding it out to him.

Seonghwa however continued walking with his hands in his pockets. 'Two five two five.'

Shocked, Hongjoong punched in the numbers and sure enough, it unlocked. He searched for the phone app and typed in his number, dialling it for a few seconds before hanging up. 'Here.' He passed it back and let Seonghwa put it back in his pocket.

As they reached the coffee machine, Seonghwa pulled out some coins and fed them into the slots. 'How do you take your coffee?'

'White... Two sugars...' He watched as Seonghwa dialled up the order and let the machine make it. He then picked up the cup and gave it to him.

'I could have done that myself,' he said with a small smirk. He took the little paper cup nonetheless and leaned against the wall as he watched Seonghwa dial up his own - black, no sugar. 'You know, you're awfully calm this evening.'

While he waited for his coffee to be made, Seonghwa stood back and smiled down at his feet. 'I guess I just kind of felt good after scrubbing into that GS. The adrenaline's probably still kicking.'

Hongjoong smiled. 'Felt good to be sure of your own hands?'

Seonghwa glanced up at Hongjoong as he nodded slowly, his smile creeping a little wider. 'Something like that.'

Taking his coffee, the two started walking back.

'Kim Sae- Hyung?'

Hongjoong looked up from his drink. 'Yeah?'

'You mentioned last night you get Friday night off?'

Hongjoong's eyes widened a little. Surely he's not... 'Yeah, why?'

He noticed Seonghwa nervously tapping at the brim of the paper cup, despite his calm demeanour. 'My friends and I were going to go out for drinks on Friday. Did you maybe want to come with?' He bit his lip a little before quickly adding. 'Kang Saem is welcome too if you like. And your other roommate if you ever find him.'

Hongjoong laughed out loud. Seonghwa's secondary attempt at making it sound less awkward was adorable. He smiled through his giggle, but the moment he looked up, he saw that he'd sparked Seonghwa's nervousness. 'Sorry,' he choked, trying to stifle his giggles. He brushed his bottom lip with his thumb as he tried to regain his composure. 'Yes, I'd like that.'

Seonghwa's anxious expression calmed immediately, but his awkward speech ruined his newfound tranquility. 'Great then... Good...'

Cringe, Hongjoong thought. If Yeosang was here, he'd be cringing.

'Good.'

~~~

A/N: Ew the chronicles of 'I'm tired and just want to fucking sleep' have begun. Got my bio done but like, I'm crashingggggg nooooo. Tried desperately to edit a new story I've kinda had sitting around for a seriously long time, but like, gotta be in a certain... mood... (?lol?) for that, so here I am, haha