139 🩺 Visitors

A couple days later ~

Hongjoong looked up from the kitchen as Yeosang answered the knock at the door. As he glanced up from cutting apple slices, he also saw Wooyoung carefully making his way into the living room.

The door opened, and Yeosang's voice flooded the living room. 'Oh? San, you have a personal driver today I see. Seonghwa~. Nice to see you again.'

Stepping aside, Hongjoong saw as San slipped his shoes off, before stepping aside.

Seonghwa's figure came into view, and Hongjoong felt his chest flutter a little. It'd been over a week since Hongjoong had seen him last, and he would be lying to himself if he said that he hadn't noticed.

Seonghwa glanced up, and for a moment too long, their eyes met.

'H-Hyung...'

'Seonghwa~ What brings you by?'

As Yeosang shut the door behind him, Seonghwa stood awkwardly at the door. 'Just giving San a lift before wor-...'

'Sannie~'

Everyone's attention drew as Wooyoung did his best to take a few steps forward before letting San walk up to him and encase him in his arms. 'You look really good today, Woo.'

'Getting better every day~. Come, I want to show you something I found.' And with that, he turned to lead San back down towards his room.

'Naw, they're adorable,' Yeosang cooed, coming to sit at the breakfast bench before Hongjoong. He turned to see Seonghwa still at the door. 'Are you coming in or not? Sit.'

Hongjoong smirked at the sight of Seonghwa nodding awkwardly at being spoken to so commandingly by Yeosang. He sat down on the stool, but seemed hesitant to meet his eyes. 'Don't tell me, you still think I bite?'

Seonghwa looked up immediately at that. 'No. I do not.'

Smirking, Hongjoong pushed a plate of cut apple across towards the two boys in front of him. 'Really? You sure about that?'

Seonghwa's eyes locked with him as though to show that he wasn't afraid, and as Hongjoong slowly blinked, trying to read what the other was thinking, he would be lying if he said he didn't enjoy the contact...

... Until Yeosang broke the moment. 'So, Park Saem. What's new? We hear you're working on some research.'

Seonghwa shook his head a little, as though shaking off a thought. 'Did San mention it?'

Popping the end of an apple slice in his mouth, Yeosang bit into it, nodding. 'Sure did. What's it on?'

Hongjoong watched as Seonghwa took his phone from his pocket and put it on the bench, finally seeming to have relaxed a little. He looses his confidence in new places, Hongjoong thought curiously.

'The study itself is on the transition from med student into the hospital system. We were given a hypothesis on the mental coping mechanisms and tasked to write a report on it, relating it to our own journey, as such. It's been about six months in the making, but I kind of left a lot of it till last minute.'

Hongjoong cringed, and Yeosang laughed.

'Wow sucks to be you. Bet you won't do that again,' Yeosang said, nibbling on his apple. 'How's your report going?'

Seonghwa groaned.

'I take that as not well.'

'Despite more than eight years of university, it appears I'm still atrocious at finding research sources and drawing parallels. It's driving me mad.'

Yeosang laughed. 'Same. I'd drink to that. What time is it? Three pm?' He looked at Hongjoong. 'Hyung. D'you reckon it's too early to start drinking?'

Hongjoong couldn't help smirking. 'It's five o'clock somewhere. But since when has that ever stopped you?'

Yeosang shrugged. 'Never I guess. Nothing wrong with doing a bit of spring cleaning in the early days of Winter. Just cleaning the fridge out.'

Hongjoong laughed. 'You're too much.'

'So I've been told.' Suddenly, he pointed at Seonghwa with his apple slice, brandishing it like a pointer. 'If you ever feel like you're drowning, hit Joong up. I don't know if you're aware, but Hyung actually happens to be heavily involved in research.'

Seonghwa's eyes opened wide, turning to look at him.

'Sang I'm not. You know I'm still technically learning as well, right?'

He shrugged. 'Doesn't change the fact that you're still really good at it. You're just shy to expose yourself.'

Seonghwa suddenly laughed. 'Shy? Hongjoong?'

Yeosang's eyes widened. 'Oh, Seonghwa. Let me tell you, there is a side of our dearest Hongjoong that surprises even me. I won't lie, I've seen Joong do some pretty shameless things in my lifetime, but the moment it comes to anything he's passionate about, he becomes like a shy little puppy.'

Hongjoong felt his cheeks heat up. 'Ew what are you even talking about you're making me cringe.'

Yeosang shrugged. Pointing at his face, he turned to Seonghwa. 'See? He's blushing.'

Seonghwa exhaled in both surprise and amusement. 'Well this is new.'

Hongjoong glared at Yeosang who was just shrugging as though it weren't his fault. 'It's his kryptonite. If he ever teases you, because god knows he teases everyone, it's like, the only way to get him back.'

'Sang, you're supposed to be on my side here,' Hongjoong said, cringing as he laughed a little.

'Oh no way am I on your side. You ate all my chocolate last night and I'm still salty about it. This is what you get.'

'I already said I was sorry!'

'Not good enough. I wanted to cry.'

Hongjoong laughed, rolling his eyes. 'You have such a flare for the dramatic. How have I put up with you for two decades?'

'I also find myself asking the same question about you, especially when you eat my chocolate! You've been doing this for like fifteen years! Are you a slow learner or what?'

Hongjoong cringed hard, before turning his attention to Seonghwa, who to his surprise was laughing softly. 'Sorry. We bicker a little bit...'

And Seonghwa laughed. 'I noticed.'

~~~