137 🩺 Finally

Yunho didn't react much when San slipped into the stool beside him. Past midnight, Yunho had just gotten off of shift and didn't even register what he was doing until his phone had dialled three times. Fuming from his shift, of course he'd rung San... He always had.

Except now, things were different...

'The usual,' San said softly to the bartender, who smiled, recognising him right away. He turned to face him, and out of Yunho's peripheral vision, he saw San bite into his lip.

Apparently deciding to leave the bigger issues for another time, San sighed. 'This hospital is trying to kill you.'

Yunho laughed sourly. 'It sure seems it.'

'What happened?' San asked softly as his drink was placed in front of him. San gave him a bill and encouraged him to keep the change.

'Nothing overly bad... J-just... I feel like I'll never be a student in that hospital. I'm always in my parent's shadows...' He swirled his scotch around in his glass, laughing harshly at how often he was finding himself in this very seat, drinking, these days. 

'Fuck, I really can't do it. I can't be present for theatre, and have fucking Kwang Saem calling me YuYu like a fucking preschooler. Five doctors picked on me and have started asking around about me after that. Five. And the moment they find out who I am, they're going to refuse to have anything to do with me.'

San nodded. 'I don't know, Yun. Can you maybe try and get placed at the hospital you went to in your first year?'

'I already looked into it. Their catchment is full. I can't change. Fuck I knew being placed at this hospital was going to be a mistake. The minute I got my roster, I knew I should have contested it.'

'Is there another placement provider you could go to? You have your licence and a car - you can drive, so maybe there's a hospital a little further away with a placement spot?'

Yunho sighed. His heart melted at how sincere San sounded, despite clearly being dragged from bed to listen to his bullshit.

'San-ah, I'm sorry.'

San's eyes widened. 'Why? You did nothing wrong! It's not your fault the hospital staff are assholes.'

Yunho laughed, shaking his head as he swirled his drink. He thought about it for a moment before downing the last, and the moment the bartender looked at him, Yunho nodded for another.

'No, San. Not that. I'm sorry I'm such a shitty friend.'

A long silent pause hit them, interrupted only by the clinking of Yunho's glass being refilled and placed before him. It had taken years of drinking here for them to convince the tender to save on washing up and glasses... It made Yunho's heart pull, knowing just how long they'd been coming here as friends.

'Yun-ah, thank you for asking me to come out tonight...' This time, San took a lengthy sip of his devil's brew, before running his finger over the edge of his glass. 'I was scared you wouldn't call again...'

Yunho looked up at him immediately in surprise. 'What? Of course I'd call you again... Why would you think that?!'

San shrugged, staring at his drink. 'Well, just because last time, you seemed so uncomfortable and maybe even a little mad...'