90 🩺 A Shoulder To Lean On

Now late at night, Seonghwa stopped by the ward to find San. But when he arrived at the room and glanced in, he saw that he wouldn't be talking to him after all...

Lights turned off, the room was completely still and dimly lit, just the lights from the infusion pumps blinking at the headboard. In the bed, Wooyoung was asleep, looking pale and unwell, but his oxygen had been removed, which meant that he must have been improving after theatre.

San was in a seat on one side of the bed, laying his head on the bed, the top against Wooyoung's shoulder. And on the other side, Yeosang was sitting in the chair, gazing down at him as he gently brushed his hair with his fingers idly, the other holding his hand.

Upon the movement, Yeosang looked up and smiled, nodding hello.

Seonghwa gave him a soft gaze, mouthing are you okay?

He nodded. Thank you.

Seonghwa smiled, glancing down. And that was when he noticed Hongjoong slumped, napping in the seat almost next to him, directly on the other side of the door. He was still in his work clothes, and his hair was messy as he stirred at the movement beside him. He sat up straighter, glancing up.

Seonghwa gave him a small smile, and Hongjoong sat up all the way. He glanced between Wooyoung in the bed, and Seonghwa, before standing up and slipping out of the room to sit on the seat next to the door in the hallway.

Sitting down beside him, Seonghwa didn't really know how he should act... 'H-how's he doing?'

Hongjoong, seeming tired and exhausted from worrying, slid across the backrest and let his head suddenly rest down over his shoulder.

Seonghwa's eyes widened as he saw Hongjoong's red hair fluffing out over the white of his coat.

'He's doing really well,' he murmured, closing his eyes.

Seonghwa reached a hand up and unsurely patted Hongjoong's shoulder. 'That's really good...'

Hongjoong took a deep breath, and Seonghwa immediately recognised it from the time his breath had slowed and deepened when he'd fallen asleep in the on-call room.

'Are you still on shift?' Hongjoong asked softly.

'No,' he replied, so softly that it was almost a whisper. 'I'm done for the night.' Feeling brave, he reached his hand up and gently patted him on the head a few times, before resting his hand there for a moment, rubbing his thumb a little. 'Are you really tired?'

Hongjoong nodded a little against him as he curled up a little closer, pulling his coat around him to ward off the cold.

Seonghwa listened to his breath slow, but felt his head move a little. However as he looked down at him, he saw Hongjoong was staring at the ground, unblinking.

He looked broken.

Seonghwa sighed. Taking his head's weight in his hand for a moment, he reached his arm around the boy and rested his head back down on his shoulder - more comfortable for both of them now. He then gently patted his head before brushing his cheek. 'Close your eyes for a moment,' Seonghwa whispered.

Feeling Hongjoong relax into his side, he listened to his breath. 'Don't let me miss the doctor,' he murmured softly into the crook of his neck. 'I'll just rest for a little bit... Just a few moments,' he whispered, letting his eyes fluttered shut. 'Just, a few,... mo...'

And then Seonghwa felt him relax entirely.

This boy falls asleep so quickly... he thought, gently brushing a lock of hair from his eyes.

Rest now.

He held his hand up to shade his eyes from the lights.

Rest now...

~~~

A/N: tooo cuteee I'm uwuing
It's raining and cloudy and cold here.
I LOVE IT
We never get the weather and it's AMAZING