127 🩺 Family

Wooyoung slowly but surely made his way down the hall so as not to disturb Hongjoong studying in his room. Poking his head into Yeosang's room however, he saw that he boy was sitting on his window seat in the sun, gazing out at the world.

'Hyung, what are you doing?' Wooyoung asked softly, slowly making his way inside.

Glancing up, Yeosang's eyes turned concerned. 'Are you okay?' he asked, immediately getting up.

'I'm fine~' Wooyoung assured, but accepted his Hyung's help nonetheless.

Settling down into the window seat, putting a pillow behind his back, Wooyoung grimaced a little as a twinge of pain raked at him for a moment, before becoming accustomed. He watched with smiling eyes as Yeosang sat opposite him, resting one leg against his.

'What were you thinking about?' Wooyoung asked, gazing at his Hyung.

'Mmm... Nothing much... Just you, Joong... Mom rang while you were asleep this morning.'

Wooyoung's eyes widened. 'Why didn't you wake me up?!'

Yeosang laughed. 'You need to rest, you can literally call her at any time.'

Wooyoung pouted, huffing. 'Maybe I wanted to talk to mom...'

'While you were asleep?'

'Yes, while I was asleep! How would you know? You didn't wake me up.' Wooyoung continued to pout, but a small sweet smile crept onto his lips at Yeosang's expression. 'What did she have to say?' Wooyoung asked softly, his heart tugging. He missed her so much.

'Her and dad managed to get back from their business trip. They're going to come down and spend the weekend, and maybe even a few days next week.'

Wooyoung's eyes widened, and he leant forward suddenly, causing him to groan in pain. Yeosang immediately moved to help him get comfortable again, scolding him for moving so brazenly.

'They're really coming down to visit?!'

Yeosang nodded, still looking at him with concern. 'Sit back, I'm scared you're going to fall off.'

Wooyoung rolled his eyes, but did as he said anyways. Sighing, he let his skin prickle under the morning sun, soaking up the heat. His heart suddenly felt complete, and his eyes filled with happy tears that weren't enough to spill.

'I really miss them,' Wooyoung said softly. He glanced at a photo of Yeosang, himself and their parents that was sitting on Yeosang's bedside table. In the photo, Yeosang was holding the family pet dog when she was just a puppy, Wooyoung was holding a photo of his biological parents, and Mr. and Mrs. Kang were hugging the boys like their lives depended on it. Wooyoung remembered distinctly that it had been one of the only times when he was that age, that he had been genuinely smiling.

Yeosang shuffled over and wrapped his arms loosely around him, resting his cheek down against his shoulder. 'I really miss them too. You know they called every day when you were in hospital?'

Wooyoung's eyes widened. He'd known a lot of things that had happened whilst he was in that horror room. He'd heard and seen his Hyungs cry, he'd seen their pain when they didn't want it to show, and he'd heard the stresses that were supposed to be kept from his ears. But not once had he heard the phone ring from their parents...

'I- I didn't...' Tears that had welled in his eyes suddenly fell as he cried, completely shocked at the news.

Yeosang hugged him tighter. 'They wanted so badly to come, but they were out of the country for work and couldn't get a flight back until this week. They were so worried about you.'

Wooyoung sniffed, wiping his tears on his sleeve. 'T-they didn't need to come back for me...' he whispered, feeling both ridiculously guilty, and ridiculously happy at the same time.

'Don't be silly, Woo. They love you and want to be here. They miss you.'

Wooyoung turned and Yeosang gracefully let him press his cheek into his chest, the way he'd always done since they were little. It felt comforting for Wooyoung to be all encompassed and safe in his embrace, the refuge of his chest blocking out the pain of the world. 'Sangie, I missed them so much... I thought they didn't care...'

Yeosang tsked, stroking his hair and rubbing circles into his back. 'Silly boy, Woo. You're so silly. Of course they care. If they were in the country, they'd be by your side in a heartbeat. They still are, it's just this heartbeat is taking a little longer.'

Wooyoung held tightly onto his brother, thanking the world for gracing him with a small portion of happiness.

'Thank you Sangie... Thank you for being my family...'

And Yeosang shook his head before tucking his cheek against him. 'You don't need to thank me, Woo. I'll always be your family.'

~~~