97 🩺 Compromise

Hongjoong and Yeosang huddled at Wooyoung's bedside as the doctor came through on his morning rounds to update them on his condition.

After a lengthy discussion about how he was doing well fighting off his infection, Wooyoung's soft, scared voice drifted up from the bed for the first time since Kim Sa Bu had entered the room. 'When can I go home?'

Hongjoong gave him a soft smile as gentle smile as he softly laughed. 'Woo, hun, you have to rest and get over your infection.'

'B-but I want to go home...' Wooyoung pouted, gazing up into his Hyung's eyes pleadingly.

'Aww, I know hun. Soon. We'll go home soon.' Hongjoong let Wooyoung lean over and rest against his chest from his semi-reclined position. He dug his cheek into the warmth of Hongjoong's thick sweater and squeezed his eyes shut.

'When can the sharp thing come out?' He asked, muffled against Hongjoong's chest.

'Hmm? Woo baby, what sharp thing?'

Surfacing, shy under the kind eyes of the doctor, Wooyoung held out his hands. 'The cannula thingies... They hurt...'

Hongjoong gently took his hands in his own and inspected them while Dr. Kim responded.

'Wooyoung, the good news is that they will come out today. The bad news is, I have to be the bad guy and say we have to give you a new one...'

Wooyoung stiffened, one hand latching onto Hongjoong's. He looked between both his Hyung's, terrified. 'D-do you have to? It hurts, I don't want to...'

'Unfortunately we still need them in, but they have to be changed. Maybe though, if we can get a really good line, I'll just put one in. How's that?'

Wooyoung looked like he half wanted to cry and beg for no lines, and half wanted to get down on his knees and bow deeply in a plea for Jim to just have one, instead of two... He gazed at Hongjoong, his eyes sparkling. 'Do I really have to have another one? Why can't I just keep these if it's going right back in?'

Hongjoong reached up and smoothed his hair down, before kissing him on the forehead through his mask. 'We have to change them every few days to try and prevent the vein from becoming inflamed, Woo. It'll be really quick though, I promise. It'll be over before you know it.'

Wooyoung shook his head violently. 'I don't want to. It's sore, I don't want to. It's scary...'

Kim Sa Bu gently approached the bed and sat down beside him, leaning forward. 'How about if I let Hongjoong do it? Will you let us do it then? I heard Kim Saem is the cannulation King in the kids wards. He's not even scary.'

Wooyoung's bright, sparkling eyes gazed up at his doctor. 'C-can he do that? I-is he allowed to?'

Kim Sa Bu grinned widely. 'Anything is possible when I snap my fingers. How's that? What do you think? Will you let your Hyung do me this one little favour?'

Wooyoung bit his lips as he glanced between Hongjoong and his doctor, before ever so slightly nodding his head.

Kim Sa Bu reached out and ruffled his hair. 'You're a good lad.'

Hongjoong hugged Wooyoung closely, Yeosang on the other side of the bed rubbing tender little circles on Wooyoung's back.

'I'll come back later, okay Wooyoung?'

And Wooyoung nodded at his doctor. 'Okay.'

~~~

A/N: Not too many chapters left. Probably better I publish them all to stop myself from procrastinating around exam block lol