93 🩺 Too Kind

Hongjoong brushed Wooyoung's hair idly with one hand, and in his other, his thumb brushed against Yeosang's cheek. The both of them were sound asleep, Yeosang's head resting on the side of Wooyoung's bed as his hands clutched his brother's.

Hongjoong couldn't sleep. Memories of when the three of them were growing up kept flooding his mind, overwhelming him with reminiscence that was both heartwarming and painful. His earliest memory that he retained wasn't all that grand. In fact it was just washes of colour and scents, really. But it was one of his happiest, fondest memories in his collection.

Amid the sea of blue and green in his mind, there were two dark brown heads of hair, and two very distinct scents - Wooyoung and Yeosang.

He had no idea how old they were. His own unfriendly parents had never told him when it was, and both Yeosang and Wooyoung were far too young to recollect.  But despite that, attached to his memory, there was a very distinct emotion that had stuck with him. It was a feeling that he'd gotten but hadn't understood at the time:

Family.

Coming from a not great household himself, it was perhaps in that moment, that Hongjoong realised that even though there was zero blood relation between the three of them, they were far more like his family, than his actual family.

And so, even over twenty years later, Hongjoong once again found himself remembering that wash of sensory memory. These two human beings were only two of billions on the planet, but yet these, two, humans, were his humans. They were the two people on this planet that he would gladly give his own life for without even needing a split second to decide. These two people were his life, and despite often feeling awkward to express just how important they were, Hongjoong had never felt so ready to lay out his heart.

He'd never been so scared in his entire life, than in that moment in the hallway where Seonghwa had delivered him the news that would literally shatter his world. All of a sudden, millions of memories flooded his vision, all of him with Wooyoung, and suddenly all he could think of was that those would be the last memories they got to make together. He immediately remembered all the times he'd felt too 'awkward' to say just one more be careful, or one more I love you... Hongjoong was terrified that now, it would be too late...

By god had he learned his lesson.

Letting his gaze fall to Yeosang, Hongjoong gently brushed his cheek again. The boy was still in his scrubs and looked absolutely exhausted. Never in his life had Hongjoong seen him so wrecked and fearful. His brow was furrowed with worry, despite being asleep, and even though he was literally hand in hand with Wooyoung, huddled against the boy's side, Yeosang still seemed completely and utterly terrified.

Their little family had had a big scare.

Just then, there was a soft tap at the door, and Hongjoong turned to see Seonghwa standing in the dimmed hallway. The boy offered him a small smile, before nodding, encouraging him to come out.

Hongjoong glanced back at the two sleeping boys. They were both sound asleep, and as he brushed the back of his finger over Yeosang's cheek just once more, and brushed Woo's soft hair again, his heart pulled.

'I'll be right back,' he whispered, even though no one was listening.

~~~

As Hongjoong gently made his way out of the room, shutting the door soundlessly behind him, Songhwa gave him a small smile.

'I brought you some stuff...'