53 🩺 Dare to Dream

As the bus arrived at its last stop, the university, Mingi and Yunho hopped off and made their way to the lockers to grab their things.

'I love uni at nighttime,' Mingi whispered softly into the night.

Yunho glanced over to seep;.. him gazing up at the stars as he walked. 'Why?'

Mingi shrugged. 'It's peaceful. Quiet. No one here. No noise. It's so still.' He turned to Yunho. 'Don't you just feel like you can go anywhere and do anything?'

Yunho's brow furrowed. 'Uh, not really?'

He watched Mingi's lips pull into a wide smile. 'You don't dare to dream enough.'

Those words etched their way into his mind.

As they made it into their building and turned into the hallway with their lockers, they both split to collect their things, leaving Yunho to wonder what on earth Mingi had meant by daring to dream. Mingi never ceased to surprise him with everything that he did. It was as though they were two completely different sides of not even the same coin.

As he grabbed his stuff, he was just about to shut his locker door when -

'Boo~'

Yunho flinched a little, but immediately exhaled in amusement. 'That was the quietest and least scary jump scare I've ever witnessed.'

Mingi shrugged. 'Maybe I wasn't trying to scare you?'

Again. Surprise. He would've expected literally any other response...

'Come on. I have an idea.'

When Mingi turned to go, Yunho intervened. 'Wait, but the library is that way...'

Turning and rolling his eyes, Mingi took him by the wrist. 'I know.'

Yunho stumbled forward as he was dragged back in the direction that they'd come. He led them back outside, and then took a hard left along the outside of the building.

'Mingi, there's nothing out here,' Yunho said, still confused. 'This is the sports precinct...'

But Mingi kept walking, dragging him along behind. 'I know~' he said simply, as he gazed up at the sky.

It wasn't until he led them out into the middle of one of the football ovals that he finally let go of Yunho's wrist.

'Umm... What are we doing here?'

Mingi smiled at him before pulling his bag over his head and dropping it at his feet as he went to sit dow-

'Wait!' Yunho shot out a hand and grabbed his elbow, stopping him. 'Mingi the grass is wet.'

But he just laughed softly and gently removed his hand. 'So what?' He sat down anyway, feeling the grass only after with his hands. He laughed. 'It's okay, but just FYI. It's dry.' He pulled his phone out and put it next to his bag, and as he did, he bumped the screen and it turned on. 'Oh! Would you look at that. We still have wifi reception.'

Yunho froze, stunned. He glanced around the deserted oval, illuminated only by the moon and the stars above them. He couldn't believe he was at uni, standing out in the middle of a football field at midnight. It was so unlike anything he'd ever done in his life. It was completely foreign and new to him...

You don't dare to dream enough...

Studying at a dance studio... Sitting in the middle of the oval at night... Was this Mingi's version of daring to dream?

He glanced down at the boy who had gotten his laptop out and moved onto his stomach, his legs bending at the knee, while his ankles dangled in the air, curling and uncurling, twisting and untwisting...

He's so content...

He's the defined opposite of 'mainstream'...

Sighing, Yunho sat down across from the boy, discovering that indeed, the grass was in fact, dry. Getting out his laptop, he navigated to the university library site to find his textbooks.

However as movement caught his eye, he glanced at the dreamer. There was a soft crinkling as he sifted through his bag, and then a few moments later, he pulled something out and threw it at him.

Yunho jumped, all kinds of spiders crossing his mind at once. But when he glanced down through parted fingers covering his eyes at the thing in his lap, he saw that it was a Fantail.

He heard Mingi stifle a giggle, and to his surprise, heard himself laugh too.

'If anyone had've seen your reaction just then, they would've thought I assault you on the daily.'

Yunho rolled his eyes, picking up the sweet. 'People don't usually attack me with candies, so sue me for jumping.'

Mingi giggled, unpeeling his own sweet. 'I have to keep things interesting somehow,' he said with an amused smile. 'Life's not meant to be boring.'

Ouff.

Yunho felt those soft words pierce right through his soul.

Suddenly sighing - a contented sound, - Mingi laid back onto his back, staring at the sky.

'What are you doing?'

'Waiting for my powerpoint presentation to load.'

Yunho looked down at the boy on the grass, busy eating his sweet as he reached a hand up and traced dot-to-dot pictures in the sky between stars. A saying popped into Yunho's head as he watched, mesmerised.

It's the small things in life...

'Huh?'

Yunho snapped out of it, seeing Mingi tilt his head back, looking up over the top of his eyebrows at him.

'What?'

'You said something, I just missed it, that's all.'

Yunho's eyes widened just the tiniest bit. Whoops... Said that out loud...

He leaned forward and stole another sweet from Mingi's bag and then threw it at the boy, making his eyes widen in shock, before laughing gently into the night.

Yunho smirked as Mingi leaned over to retrieve the lollie from where it had bounced off of his chest and landed in the grass. He then threw it right back at him.

It smacked into Yunho's chest with a comic hollow sound effect and then plodded down into his lap. Both boy's glanced at each other for a moment before bursting out in laughter.

And as Mingi rolled back onto his stomach and returned to his computer, Yunho couldn't help thinking.

Life's not meant to be boring...

Why is it that study never feels like a chore when I'm with Mingi...?

The world looks completely different when I'm around him...

He glanced down at his library site with the textbook link ready to go, and then at Mingi, who was curling his ankles idly in the night, a small smile on his lips as he read through a passage on screen.

Maybe he was right.

Maybe I just need to dare to dream a little too...

~~~

A/N: Okay I really like this scene. Like, a lot. Help.
Although editing it now, I wish I could somehow make it sound more beautiful and flowing ㅠㅠ