111 ; little talks

Harry and Grace have been dating for abut 2 and a half months and today we finally meeting Freya, her 8 year old daughter. I know very little about her other than she's a bit shy but a dancer. Which will be cool to have a young painter and a young dancer to watch grow successful. 

There's a knock on the door and since we're meeting at my place (Harry insisted it was more 'homey') I open the door and greet Grace there in a simple jeans and white top but still looks beautiful.  

"Hi!" I smile, hugging her and then looking down to see a young girl hiding behind her mother. Light brown hair that falls in long curls and light eyes. 

I remember what she said about Freya being the result of a careless one night stand and wonder if the traits she has that Grace doesn't have are from her 'father', nonetheless, she's very pretty and it doesn't matter where she came from. Grace raised her all on her own, that's what matters. I don't think I could parent Delilah with August, she must be strong. 

"Don't hide" Grace tells the girl, moving her gently to the side "this is Ave" 

She looks up at me and I smile, kneeling down to Freya's height. 

"Hey, you must be Freya?" I ask gently and she nods her head "it's nice to meet you, do you want to come inside and meet everyone?" 

She nods her head again and I take her hand, leading her into the lounge room where Delilah, Gus and Harry are. She looks around, taking in the 3 new faces in and I introduce her to everyone like Grace told me too, it helps her get used to me as well. 

"This Gus" I say, pointing to my husband and they exchange small waves. 

"Delilah, my daughter" Lilah smiles at her kindly, she's good with kids. 

"and Harry" we face H, who seems very nervous and gives her a smile before his eyes go back up to meet mine and I give him a reassuring nod. 

"Hey Freya" Harry says to her "heard you like to dance?" 

"yeah" Freya says quietly, keeping close to me and still holding my hand 

"what kind?"

"Ballet" She answers, looking over to August who speaks 

"We are a very artsy family then" He laughs "Harry and Ave sing, me and Delilah paint and you dance, isn't that cool?"

"Yeah..I guess" Freya mumbles, letting go of my hand and heading back to Grace, who leads her back over to Harry, which seems like a wise things to do considering he's dating her Mum. 

Harry sits on the couch an invites her to sit next to him, which she does reluctantly and picks at the hem of her dress, avoiding eye contact. Grace said her shyness would slowly clear up after a couple of visits, it's just about making her feel comfortable here, which I'll try to do. 

"how long have you been dancing for?" He asks, twisting his rings around like he always does when he's stressed or nervous. 

"Since I was 3" She answers "and now I'm 8" There's silence for a while before Freya is the one to break it "Ave, how long have you been singing for?"

I'm surprised at her attempts to make conversation but answer he question "since I could remember"

"Harry?"

"Same with Ave" Harry answers with a shrug "I just..always sung" 

"Can..I hear?" She asks softly, looking at me and before I can answer, Harry leaps up and over to the guitar on the floor and sitting down next to me. He's never been one to turn down an opportunity to sing with me.