Twenty Seven ; Disco

"You got the words wrong AGAIN!" I yell over the top of the music. Harry shrugs his shoulders and keeps singing and dancing in the lounge room. August is at an art expedition out of town, leaving Harry and I to our own devices. So we do what any normal best friends do in their spare time, having a two person dance party like we used to when we were teenagers.

Now I can see him again, we are celebrating. 

"Don't just shrug your shoulders at me, sir!" i grab my phone and put Kiss You by one direction back to the start, "Get it right this time or I'm going home and leaving you to have a 1 person party." 

"It's been a while since I've sung this Ave." Harry says with a laugh and shakes his head slightly, "I'm allowed to get it wrong." and turns the speaker down. 

"Um, I think the fuck not." I say, turning the speaker back up, Harry and his band mates voices echoing through the house. "I'll change the song then if your gonna be disrespectful." I hit shuffle and Girl Almighty starts blaring. I turn the lights off, and the disco ones on causing colorful lights flash and dance around the room.   

Harry tries to speak, but the combination of One Direction blasting and disco lights flashing makes it hard for me to see or hear anything. "Speak up! Harold, I cant hear you... younger Harold is singing beautifully!" I can see his silhouette reach for my phone an turn the song off. I try to get my phone out out his hands but he holds it up high, making me jump and laugh as I try and grab it out of his hand. 

"Will you just listen for a minute?" He says, shoving my phone his back pocket impatiently. 

"You really think I'm not gonna get it out of there?" I say, crossing my arms playfully. 

"Ave, Girl Almighty is about you." We are both quiet for a moment before he continues, "me and the boys wrote it... about you." 

"Why did you never tell me?" I say, giving him a joking push, "And why did you build it up, I thought you were gonna tell me something serious..." 

"What? You don't think this is serious?" He pulls my phone out of his pocket and places it back in my hand, but I don't resume the music, I focus on what I can see of his face and shadow. The colors are still spinning around the room, lighting up parts off his face in rainbow flashes and circles. 

"I mean, yeah, of course it's serious. I'm just really surprised." I say with a nervous laugh, "thank you, Harry." I hug him in the dark. 

"You're welcome, I don't know why I told you sooner." Harry says, playing with his hair.

"So, Harold, how many songs have you written about me I still don't know about?" I ask, genuinely curious. 

"That's for me to know and you to find out, Ave." He says laughing, "put the music back on please." 

The mini party continues, with many pillows being thrown and couches jumped off. Harry dances with a grin on his face and it must contagious because i'm in front of him dancing and singing too. I've never felt more comfortable and happy with someone else, not even August, to dance badly and still be having the time of my life. You and I comes on shuffle and Harry laughs. 

"Do you listen to anything else but one direction?" and grabs my hand and smiles. 

"Don't even think about it's dark I will trip and fall and die." I say, trying not to laugh at his gesture. He ignores me completely, and spins me gently around. I take a step back and hit the coffee table. "See, I told you... I'm dizzy and getting old." 

"You're not old, Ave." he says simply, and I faintly see him offer his hand out again to dance. I sigh and take it. "You're a horrible dancer Harry." I say, as he stumbles around, trying to dance. 

"Shut it. I'm a singer, not a dancer, and you made it way too dark I'm scared I'm gonna tread on you." Safe to say, the attempted slow dancing didn't last long. 

Sign Of The Times comes on shuffle a short time later, and I know harry can barely see me, but I raise my eyebrows expectantly for him to sing it. I use the wall to help find my way in the dark to the couch and sit down and wait with my legs crossed for him to do what he does best, perform. 

Something about hearing nothing but Harry's voice in the dark brings tears to my eyes as he sings it perfectly and effortlessly, hitting every note with ease. His voice echoes around the room and rings in my ears, It's a beautiful song written by a beautiful person. 

I've known him for years and he never fails to amaze me every time i hear him sing, especially when it's for me or during shows, where the audience is quiet just to hear his voice. The song finishes and he turns the speaker off. "Ave?" he sits next to me and notices me wiping my eyes, "what's wrong?"

I find his arm and rest my head on his shoulder, "Nothing, I'm crying in a cool way." I sniffle. He laughs and I sit up and look around in the dark, the disco lights went flat a while ago and the sun is starting to set, I can't see anything.

Harry stands up and I grab his hand and follow him. He flicks the lights on and I squint and cover my eyes. "Shit, sorry." he says, doing the same thing. His eyes get slightly bigger and he jogs upstairs, "Hold on a second." 

He comes back down the stairs carrying a ball of fairy lights in both arms, "Remember these, Ave?" I think back to that night and it feels like a life time ago, but I do. "Help me put them up." We put them up quickly around the lounge room, before switching them to flicker. We take a step back and admire our work.

 "Looks good, I did well." I roll my eyes at him, before turning the music back on. "Not getting tired yet, are you?" I say to him across the room as I text August that I'm at Harry's place. "Never." I hear him reply. "Good." I turn around with a smile and see him with one too. 

August arrives a little later and I grab him by the hand and lead him into Harry's living room. "Haz! We are gonna have a 3 person party now!" August laughs and shakes his head at the fairy lights and closed curtains, he looks down at the couch pillows on the floor and says "When I go on trips and meetings, is this what you two do all day? Act like little kids when you are both grown ass adults?" 

"Yup" Me and Harry say in almost unison. I think we always will.