Twenty Nine ; Forever

I step out of the car, gripping the bouquet tightly in my shaking hands. Today is the day. I take in a deep breath, rolling my shoulders as I stand up tall. I take a few steps forward, my bridesmaids coming behind me to fix my dress and shut the car door. I only have two, August's little sister, Nicole, and my childhood friend, Georgie.

"Goddamn you look beautiful, Ave. Absolutely stunning." Georgie shoots me one of her signature grins, quickly coming in for a sideways hug. I move the flowers so she doesn't squish them, hugging her back.

"Yeah... what she said!" Nicole giggles, not trying to hide her cheery smile.

We stand there for a few moments, collecting ourselves. They give me words of encouragement, before eventually suggesting we go inside. Finally, after months of wishing and planning I'm getting married. It's June 2021, nearly a year overdue. 

I enter the church, the girls helping hide me from both the crowd and August. My dad comes to my side, and I swear I see tears begin to form in his eyes. The music begins to play. That's for me. My stomach drops to the floor.

Georgie takes a moment to peek to the crowd, before slipping back in, "Gus looks so excited. Harry, too."

I smile, imagining the thought of the three most important men in my life standing in the one room. August. Harry. My father. Nicole and Georgie both give me a quick kiss on the cheek before setting off down the aisle. My dad links our arms, "ready, Pumpkin?" I smile nervously at him.

"As ready as I can be, Dad."

"I'm glad. Let's do this." I can hear the bodies turn in their seats as we walk down the aisle, hushed whispers beginning to fill the room. She looks beautiful. That August is a lucky man. She looks just like her mother. Not a single negative word could be heard as I walk, the smile on my face growing with every step. I see August at the end, the proudest look coming over his face. He stands, hands crossed in front of him, turning his head briefly to Harry. They share a look of pure admiration. The pair of them are blinking away tears.

"You look..." August can't even finish his sentence without having a tear fall from his face. He wipes it away as the crowd awhs.

"The couple will now exchange vows."

"...from the day that I met you, August Hill, I knew that you were going to be a very important person in my life. You have granted me with nothing but happiness, love and inspiration. I promise to love you until the day I die, carrying you with me wherever I go. I promise to continue to support you in whatever you do, as well as to make sure you are staying on track. I promise to be the best muse you have ever had..."

"...Avery Masters, you are everything I have ever wanted and more. I vow to take you as you are- the woman I fell in love with many years ago. You are one of the most important people in my life, giving me the honor of being able to call you my wife. I promise to care for you in sickness and in health, to comfort and protect you, and to help you cook us dinner when I know you've had a big day. I love you so much. I can't wait to continue our lives together..."

"You may now kiss the bride."

The ceremony was everything I ever dreamed of, and more. After the general wedding stuff like the first dance and speeches we move onto the part I was looking forward to the most, the after-party, we booked a DJ and disco lights, the whole thing, we really went all out and had saved money for years while refusing any help from H. Most of my older relatives had gone home so it was time to have fun without Grandmas watchful eyes on me. 

I quickly change from my long wedding dress into a shorter white dress that was more freeing and easier to dance in, H had come shopping with for this one after I told him my idea to change. I make my way through the crowd thanking everyone for coming but looking one person in-particular and when I see him I run up to him grinning ear to ear. 

"Ave!" Harry says, wrapping me a tight hug. I take a step back and admire his sparkly back gucci suit and standing out from everyone else as usual, I wouldn't have expected him to be wearing anything else. "You look beautiful, the hair and make up and dress were amazing. I'm so proud and I can't believe you're actually married"

Tears form in my eyes and I laugh "Don't make me cry, Harold" 

"I already did that during your vows" He says laughing and takes my hand "Come talk to the boys, they missed you" 

It takes me a while to remember who "the boys"  is referring to but when I see their faces all the memories come flooding back because Niall, Louis, Liam and Zayn are standing together in a small circle laughing and catching up. I can't help but wonder when was the last time they were in the same room as each other like this. 

"Hi, Avery! Been a while" Niall says in his Irish accent and gives me a hug, which I gratefully return, last time i saw him he as blonde, now he is sporting his natural brown hair "So, tell me about this August fella you just married"

I laugh and tell him that he is a travelling artist and paints. Niall admits jokingly that he had a small crush on me in the early days of One Direction. Like it wasn't obvious I think to myself with a smile. We quickly catch up about his music while Harry and the other boys talk and laugh and I feel like we are all kids again in the beach house playing card games in front of the fire.

"Alright that's enough, look out" Louis laughs, moving Niall out of the way by the shoulders to get to me. "Ave you look great, Love" 

"Thanks, Lou" I smile happily "You look great as well, few more tattoos I see" I point to his forearm and he laughs, we talk for a bit before he excuses himself to get another drink from the bar behind us. 

Zayn approaches me and I hug him gratefully for coming. All the boys have changed so much since the hiatus began, like a whole new One Direction, the most obvious one being Niall's hair but I also miss the cheeky boys, now they are all grown up and talking polity instead of tackling each other. Harry appears by my side again, snapping me out of my thoughts. 

"You want to dance?" He asks. 

"Of course, H" I say and he smiles at my answer and we make our way onto the dance floor, a little tipsy but having the best night of my life. 

We dance and party most of the night with the smile never leaving my face. I don't know how but i managed to dance with everybody there at least once during the night. Just before he goes home Liam comes up to me and thanks me for inviting him and the other boys stand behind him, shaking hands and introducing themselves to August, who seems a little star struck but plays it off well.  

I mean, this is the first time his met One Direction and it happens to be at his wedding. The boys and August talk for a while and say their goodbyes to us. We promise to catch up again soon and I watch them leave in a group out the doors with huge smiles on their faces. 

Harry stands next to me again, arm around me proudly. "I'm going home, I'll see you tomorrow" he bends down and says into my ear so I can hear him over the music and then turns to August and congratulates him again. He hugs as both and says goodbye with tears in his eyes.

"What's wrong" I ask, raising my voice over the DJ.

He mouths back nothing and then I love you, before leaving too.