I'll Be Home For Christmas -ineffable husbands- (angst w/h/e)

A/n: Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it! I was going to have Crowley die but RevolutionRavenclaw said I shouldn't make this too sad. Uh so tw Crowley kinda drinks holy water but something happens and everything is fine.

Despite being an angel, Aziraphale wasn't much of a singer. Choirs of humans singing hymns were better than any angelic ballad that he tried to sing. Crowley had been a fine singer despite being a demon. On the way home from dinner dates he could occasionally be caught belting out the lyrics to some song Queen on the radio. Aziraphale never had the nerve to tell Crowley he loved his singing.

There was a lot of things Aziraphale never had the nerve to tell Crowley.

He laid down on the front of the Bentley. Snow was brushing against his cheeks. He was crying. Crowley was planning on coming home for Christmas and all he could do was cry. Why was he not thankful for the kind thought? Sweet thoughts of gingerbread men and sugar plums danced through his head. The bright twinkle of the stars above kissed his bright blue eyes with soft light. The snow blanketed him in angelic white. -And all he could do was cry rivers of hurt. What kind of angel cries on Christmas?

Crowley was his dearest of loved ones. Christmas was the day to hold loved ones close. He was close enough to brushing him with his fingertips. Due to his wiggly serpentine nature, Crowley was always able to slip away like sand. It was too easy. Aziraphale could never catch him no matter what efforts he put in place. Crowley was just too fast for him. He came and went with the blow of the wind.

Aziraphale still had hope for the wily demon though. Perhaps too much hope for his own good.

"I'm a silly thing. Who am I to think that he's really going to come back?"

He wiped his tears away from his face. They were starting to freeze to his cheeks. It was painful as a kiss.

"He's dead, Aziraphale! He died! He's not coming! Not now, nor ever! He's gone!"

He got off of the Bentley, leaving a bare patch of snow in the shape of an angel. It seemed to be more of the dark shadow of an angel, slowly engulfed by white flakes after he got up.

The stars lit the way home. Aziraphale was cold and wet. He hated to walk into the bookshop in such fashion, but he did not have much of a choice. The moment he set foot in the shop he took off his wet overcoat. It was hung by the fireplace with urgency. The orange blaze reminded Aziraphale of Crowley. He had beautiful flamed hair. It was almost too beautiful to be from the depths of Hell. From any other demon he would expect greasy, dark hair. Crowley's was soft and smelt like apples. It must had been the shampoo he used.

Aziraphale longed to run his hand through Crowley's hair once more. He knew how it pestered the demon. Such simple acts made the both of them smile. It was impossible to not see the love between them in those moments, but both of them were blind to it. Aziraphale could not see with his heart open until Crowley drank the holy water.

Crowley was ashamed for loving him. He felt like a pathetic demon. What kind of demon would not? He had told Aziraphale that moment that he would be home for Christmas.

He heard the joy in the angel's voice. It pained him to know how upset he would be. Part of him considered not doing it, but he decided it would be the best for the both of them. What angel would ever love a demon? Aziraphale was not that lowly. At least Crowley thought that.

Except Aziraphale laid that night on the couch of his bookshop. He ached for Crowley to saunter in and sit down. He was dreaming of his sweet demon. How could he go on? The golden eyes he adored were no longer around to gaze upon. Glory should have been singing his name. He blamed himself for being the reason Crowley left the Earth. He could not save him. Gabriel and the others would appreciate that -if he were still one of them at least. He felt like a nobody without Crowley now.

"Best be productive with myself," he mumbled as he sat up. The fire was crinkling behind hi. He walked into the small kitchenette and started to bake cookies, leaving the fire to burn itself out. He would have offered some to Crowley. Maybe he would have been baking them with him by now. Is that not what lovers do though? He cursed himself as silly for thinking that Crowley would ever bake with him.

He started to break down a little. He missed Crowley. It was obvious.

"What wouldn't I give to have that demon back?" he muttered to himself as he shoved the cookies in the oven to bake.

"What wouldn't you give, angel?"

Aziraphale almost thought that he heard Crowley speak. He was just imagining things, right?

"Silly me," he sighed, "Silly me."

Crowley on the other hand had just had an eventful twelve hours. Of course he knew what he was doing when he drank the holy water. He did not have a side. The moment he sipped it he disappeared and joined another one. It was not shameful for an angel to love.

"Aziraphale!" he called out. He tapped on the window twice. "Aziraphale! Let me in!"

Aziraphale turned around. "Ooah~" he shrieked as he fell down.

"You okay, Angel?"

"Ow... I'm -great Crowley is that you?"

"The one and only. Can you let me in?"

Aziraphale got up pushed the window open. He smiled at Crowley and pulled him inside. He hugged him tightly.

Crowley chuckled, "Hey, Azir-"

"Shh, no let me just hold you."

Crowley put his hands on Aziraphale's cheeks. "I'm back. What? Are you crying? I told you I'd be coming. Would I ever lie to you?"

"B-but you were dead."

"I'm an angel now! Surprise!"

Aziraphale looked into Crowley's eyes. He saw they were normal -well almost. They were golden like stars.

"Wow," he gasped in awe, "You're beautiful."

Crowley chuckled to himself. "That's what mother thinks... Anyways I have something else to tell you."

Aziraphale let go of Crowley. He grabbed his hands though. "I... I also have something to say. Anthony Crowley I think I love you. Is that okay?"

"Aziraphale, I love you too. That's what I was going to say. That's why I drank the holy water."

"R-really?" Aziraphale sniffled. He kissed Crowley's cheek and said, "That's all I could ever wish for."

"Merry Christmas, Angel."

Aziraphale hugged Crowley tightly. "You're an angel too now."

"You'll always be my angel," Crowley sighed as he patted Aziraphale's back. "What's that you're making?"

"Cookies! Would you like to make them with me? We can decorate them!"

Crowley smiled and said, "We'll do lots of things together now. Don't cry. Merry Christmas, Aziraphale."

"Oh merry Christmas Crowley!" Aziraphale giggled as he pulled Crowley to the oven. He laid his head against his chest and said, "You're the best Christmas present ever."

Crowley chuckled, "Well I'm all yours. I'm glad to make you happy."

"And I'm glad you're here."

Aziraphale did not feel so alone anymore. He looked up at Crowley and asked, "Can you sing me one of those songs you like to sing? Or maybe a Christmas carol? I... I like the way you sing."

Crowley smiled down at him. He started to sing softly, only for him to hear.

It was indeed a very merry Christmas.