Are You Dead Yet? pt.5

A/N: This chapter is for ToastToasterstrudel

The next week Aziraphale was safe, back at home next to Anthony. The two couldn't seem to get closer to each other. They held on tight. It was like that for years. They continued on with their little secret. That was until the year 2010.

Anthony had grew to be very sick, and Aziraphale couldn't do much about it.

"I don't want you to die Anthony. You're only 89."

Anthony smiled softly and weakly said, "Angel, that's old for a human. I've lived a good life. You were the best thing that ever happened to me."

He played with Aziraphale's soft curls of hair. "Look, angel I'm not afraid to die anymore. I know I'll be fine."

"I know that, it's just that I love you. I don't know if I'll be able to even communicate with you up there. I'm an angel, and not one who is supposed to be talking to humans."

Anthony nodded and sighed, "I know. That's why I'm telling you goodbye and that I love you now."

He then coughed up blood. This pained Aziraphale.

"I'll dial for an ambulance. I hope to see you later, my love."

Aziraphale grabbed the telephone from the side of the bed. He dialed the emergency number and left it there, knowing they'd come for Anthony.

It pained Aziraphale to see Anthony that night, laying in a hospital bed. He looked so pale and fragile. A few stunts and miracles were made to keep Anthony alive. He was left in a coma.

By the end of the week Aziraphale knew he had to let Anthony go.

"Goodbye, Anthony. It's time for you to go on."

Aziraphale kissed his forehead, letting Anthony flat line. Of course he went to Heaven and tried to find Anthony. He scanned all the lists of new arrivals. He looked through the lines. His lover wasn't there. Anthony didn't make it.

This broke Aziraphale's heart. He went back to his bookshop and cried for most of the night. He needed Anthony more than anything.

Ironically all he could find himself able to do the next day was go back to the same building they met at. It was still a bar, still ran by the same family. For ten years Aziraphale got drunk here every weekend. He needed to numb the pain. Nothing had ever hurt him more than Anthony dying.

Sometimes he'd see an old Bentley drive down the street. Other times he'd catch a glimpse of some ginger man, around the age of twenty two, that looked similar to how Anthony did. It wasn't his Anthony though.

The closest he could get to his Anthony was to stare at his grave in the middle of a random cemetery. He made sure that the grave was the most well kept in the cemetery. Fresh flowers were placed there every Wednesday, little lights came on around at night, and the grass was trimmed just right around it. Not that the grass was an issue at this time of the year since it was winter.

Anthony was laid to rest underneath an apple tree. Aziraphale believed that he would have liked that spot since apples had always been his favorite fruit.

Every time it made Aziraphale think of the apple trees that grew in the middle of their open field.

He remembered how much Anthony loved them. The two of them would walk out to them in the autumn and pick them together. Most of the time that meant Anthony had to sit on his shoulders to be able to reach. Not that either of them minded. They worked well together, and if they were good about picking the apples, Aziraphale would usually be able to have a pie ready by dinner time.

"You loved my apple pie," Aziraphale whispered as he stared at Anthony's grave. Snow was gently falling on to Aziraphale and everything surrounding him.

"I'll be back soon dear. I hope this snow isn't a big one. I'm not too interested in staying in the book shop for days. Goodbye for now, dear."

Aziraphale then left. He went to the bookshop as he said he would. The snow began to fall harder, and it was beginning to stick.

"I suppose Anthony won't be getting his flowers this Wednesday. What a shame. I need a drink."

Aziraphale then walked across the street to the bar he met Anthony at.

"Hey Az, avoiding the storm?" the bartender asked. Aziraphale nodded and hung up his jacket before sitting at the bar.

"This looks like it's going to be a bad one," Aziraphale sighed. The bar tender placed a shot in front of him and said, "I hope I can get home. I've got a new little one and I don't want to miss her first Christmas. If it gets too bad I'll just have J-Tony shut down shop."

"Who's J-Tony?"

The bartender pointed to the back end of the bar and said, "He's new; just started working here two weeks ago."

Something has most definitely felt familiar to Aziraphale, just a more evil version of it.

J-Tony walked towards the two and softly sighed, "I'll take care of him. You go on."

"Thanks, make sure you get home too J."

Aziraphale's bar tender then left. The whole bar was empty apart from one angel, and one demon.

"Don't mind me saying but you look like an old friend of mine," J-Tony said. Aziraphale smiled and asked, "What was his name?"

"Azzie- Aziraphale. He was an absolute angel. A blessing to be around."

Aziraphale drank another shot and said, "You look like a spitting image of my old friend Anthony Crowley."

J-Tony smiled and softly to himself. He sighed, "Why are we kidding ourselves Azzie? I know it's you."

"And I know it's you dear, but you're a demon. Also what kind of a name is J-Tony? I honestly prefer Anthony."

The two laughed softly. "I never told you what my middle name was. It's Janthony."

Aziraphale placed a soft kiss on J-Tony's cheek and laughed, "So Anthony Janthony Crowley, I like it. Why don't we get out of here J-Tony? My shop is across the street."

"Oh Az, I'd love to. Come on."

The two of them left the bar soon after. Aziraphale providing Anthony with a place to stay, just like he always had, because love is a nice warm place to call home.

"You kill me Azzie. Am I dead yet?"