[72] The End Of The Aftermath

The large red curtains flowed along with the wind. The chandelier twinkled as magnificent as the end of this aftermath was. The red carpet seemed like a path of relief at last with the King sitting on his throne at the end.

Rodwin stared at the two stairs under the throne with blankness on his face.

". . . We are mournful of the events that happened last night, Rodwin. For some people, success comes with sacrifice. For some Warriors, the real War is always outdoing their previous self," said the King, with empathy flickering over his face.

The Prince stood aside on the boundary of the stage with his eyes lowered on the big wide galleries from where he could see the downtowns and villages.

"Your previous self was an ordinary boy who had practiced hardwork and passion to get anything, to have anything he wanted to achieve. No matter how much independent you have become by earning, serving into the War, coming back alive, earning a reputed rank—you were still a small babe to your father. The child in you was always grateful for having a father's hand over him. We are extremely sorrowful that Lord Lester is no more, Rodwin."

Rodwin kept listening carefully, not moving an inch.

"My son, himself couldn't sit quietly until you arrived here." The King told him, making the Prince suck in a huge breathe. "The beast has been killed by none other than you," he said, looking at him. "That adds up to one of your great acts that we are thankful for. Although, we have been informed, it was a collective act of your colleagues. They will be rewarded."

The Prince glanced at his father who nodded at him. He looked back at Rodwin and said, "About Lord Commandant, James Barton, we have prisoned him. A trial will happen to warn every Lord working in this castle of any treachery, and for our own astonishment. My father and I, along with the council members have chosen to busy him with life imprisonment. If you have any objection or something to add on, please inform us."

Rodwin didn't look up while speaking, "After everything I have come to know about Nathaniel Barton's life and mental health, I would never want his father be allowed to meet his son ever in life."

The King raised his eyebrows, glancing at Prince who nodded in agreement and fascination. "Of course," the Prince announced. "That is a very important suggestion. We are grateful. And about Nathaniel, we are not ready to forgive him in continuing his rank, let alone the service as a soldier. We are also tempted to punish him."

The King nodded. "A soldier who has broken rules, didn't put nation's love before his selfish father's purposes, broke moral principles, influenced his colleagues wrongfully. He has brought harm to the men and himself, eventually."

The Prince smiled. "But at last, confessing his crimes openly and getting his father charged here, we are thankful for him for thinking rationally. We will not put him in the army. He will be trained with council under the Lords, for a respected job in any of import-export department. It would make him further humble and disciplined."

The King released a heavy breathe while saying, "When Lady Hopper arrived, we were very much saddened by the acts of Lord Hopper too. He is punished for helping Lord Commandant put such a vicious plan to work. He has been demoted to the two ranks down and his title has been snatched until he serves us two years, soulful and loyally."

The Prince walked down the stairs with a small smile on his face. "Lady Hopper didn't just stop there. She told us the very fascinating demand you had put in front of her as a favour. We are very much intrigued by the plan. Aren't we, father?"

The King chuckled loudly, making the guards exchange glances.

"My grandmother's soul would be happy to watch it happening here now, in this era. She was a fierce sword player. Very much talented. But the patriarchy crushed her dreams. She was married off to a reckless King, my grandfather. But here am I, birthed the new generation with new dreams in their eyes. I give all the green flags for this precious plan to be executed," he said enthusiastically.