[38] The Books Don't Lie-I

A curse could be fierce, but the ignorance makes it worse.

Samara heaved a sigh before turning the page, finally taking out the time to read the history of Sherfield.

The weather outside was cold enough to send the faint freezing winds inside her room to flirt with the warmness of the fire. She had lit it to also avoid the unusual silence of the night.

Her window was half-open and covered by curtains. She had spent this last hour guarding the Well right in between the colony, waiting for the man who had stolen the happiness from her brother's fate to pass through like he was doing every night since the war.

Nathaniel

Unlike every night, he hadn't arrived this time yet. The thought of wasting her time on waiting for his arrival even for a different purpose than that of a lover, she felt it unacceptable. She could instead use her time on reading something useful.

So, she had taken out books that Violet had left for her to read. She was now seated on her bed, her arms covered with her shawl, and a candle lit beside her bed. With a long breathe taken, she began to read the neatly written pages under the stirring candle light.

"Sherfield, a barren land that gets the heat of the sun barely for a month in a year, was once a travelling rest for nomadic tribes for years. With its slant grounds covered by pine trees, it is known to be the land of histories and secrets."

Reading quietly, she let out a breathe and started focusing more.

"Thousands of years ago, it was found by a King of a southern tribe. When he noticed the beautiful weather of snow and no heat, he started bringing his tribe here during the summers. It resulted in some of the families making their homes here while the King took control of both of his southern and north-eastern lands. Though, it is said that the whole new civilization was vanished by some sudden force. Many rumors go around that the reasons could be nature's anger like flood.

"But some travelers' accounts had been found and it was discovered that a pack of wolves inhabited the land who came from far north in vengeance. The tribe had started to hunt reindeer's from the far snowy land. Uncertain by the hunt for animals, the wolves had arrived at the village and attacked the unprepared. It is said that the ghosts that are being rumored today are actually the souls of those tribal men and women or actually, the wolves."

Samara looked up in the front in shock, "Oh my God," she whispered to herself. Feeling half -scared, half-fascinated, she turned the page and read further.

"A traveler called Athamas, had written a different story in his account. He was a guest to the Burnsley Kingdom hundred years ago. He found out about the administration of Burnsley Kingdom and the story behind the horrors of Sherfield town. He found out that the tribe which inhabited the place first was the Sheris. They were a hunting tribe and lived for years. They worshiped moon, believed in certain rituals and had gotten along with the wolves that lived in the forests on the border."

Samara gulped hard while reading further.

"It is said that one night, a Sheri man killed a wolf, greedy for his fur. In return, the pack of wolves massacred the whole tribe. Athamas, later found out from an old woman who told him another version. That the man was looking for a treasure he saw in his dreams. Pearls, gold and gems. Hidden in a cave. The cave he looked in belonged to a mother wolf who was offended by the intrusion and attacked the men. The village, later killed the mother wolf and in vengeance Moon Goddess brought a storm that blew away the whole of the village. What left were the caves, the dead wolves and the broken remains of the houses."