[47] The Risk-II

Peeking through the window, Ida observed the chariot ready. Her father was leaving for the castle. Till now, Lord Commandant would have gone to the castle too. The council along with the King and Prince would wait for the evening and send royal knights to their village to catch the beast.

The training sessions was cancelled today. This meant that all the soldiers were at their homes. Before the Knights could arrive, Lord Commandant would get Jeffery's sister kidnapped. This would lead to Jeffery going to the forest. The noise of missing lady would lead to Samuel not being able to stop himself from reaching his friend in the forest.

The Knights would claim one of them as the beast.

Ida shook her head while hiding behind the curtains as the chariot started moving. She needed to stop the injustice from happening. She needed to save Samuel.

For which, she needed to save Jeffery's sister.

With that thought, she started doing her routines and got ready for the breakfast. Wasting no time in finishing her meal, Ida dared to ask, "Mother, is Nathaniel coming tonight?"

The words brought a smile to her mother's face. "Of course, he is. While your father and father-in-law will be gone to see for the beast who would be caught by then, Nathaniel will be guarding us here."

Ida blinked slowly. "This means that he won't let me visit my friend, Lauren. She has brought these new pearl earrings made from another city. She has invited me to have a look at them."

The mention of pearls caught her mother's interest. "Lauren? The daughter of the painter who lives at the countryside."

Ida nodded slowly.

"Her father is a renowned artist, mother. You must join me someday. Their house looks lavish."

"Why didn't you tell us before? We could have make acquaintances already. Your cousin, Ethan has been a bachelor after his first marriage gotten annulled. Is she beautiful?"

Ida kept her patience while smiling. "She is a beauty, mother. Now, shall I go this time of the day only to avoid going in the evening?"

Her mother turned concerned. "But your father has asked me to. . ."

"Mother, please. I will return soon." She pleaded heartily.

Her mother nodded slowly. "Fine-"

"My Lady, Lord Barton has arrived. He is waiting in the drawing room." Their butler announced from the door.

Dread filled Ida's chest when her mother waved her hand at the servant. "He is soon to be our family, Gavyn. Do not make him sit there. Let him come inside the dining room already," she said cheerfully.

The whole confidence of hers went down as looking neat in those tidy white breeches and bluish coat, Nathaniel entered the big room with a smirk on his face.

"Good morning, Ladies."

_______

"The cage is twelve-foot high."

Jeffery looked up from the iron rod he was working on. "He is a Werewolf. Not monkey who needs space to jump and climb around."

His father brought the brush closer to the iron chair, painting it smoothly. "The measure they gave us, we followed it. The King specifically asked us to make this twelve rounds lock. They are serious about today's capture. Someone will be burned tomorrow morning in front of everyone."

Jeffery let out a scoff. "Morning? If they get him sooner, he will be burned in the night only."

Silence hung in that light afternoon. The sun was being continuously crossed by dark clouds, producing shade and brightness consecutively.