[54] Disappointing

The day had turned brighter with no sight of the sun. The blue of the sky above was clean enough in contrast to the chaos that had been left messy in the village beneath. The passing wind was filled with the metallic taste of blood of the persons killed last night. The birds weren't chirping as if afraid of offending the villagers who had suffered a rough dawn.

Samara moved her dried eyes slowly, observing the absence of the women at the public well in the middle of their colony. Witnessing from the window of the kitchen, she could see the fear of unspeakable answers soaking into the neighbors all around.

People were avoiding getting asked about recent deaths and the Hamptons for betrothing their daughter to the newfound Werewolf.

Her own mother didn't go to take water. They would have to survive on the extra pots they had filled yesterday.

It wasn't a usual morning when the tea was being prepared on earthen stove for no one really. Samuel was seated in his room alone, sobbing and remembering the love of his life so unexpectedly. Her mother tried to serve breakfast toasts to him. But at the first denial was enough to sign how the heart-wrenching news had to be eaten first.

In the hall, her father was drinking tea seated at the head chair of the dining table, listening to the sobs of Lord Lester.

For a stranger, the scene would look so bogus for her father was a reputed Knight and the other man, just a vegetable seller.

But here was the beauty of the truth how being distant neighbors, good friendship from years and Rodwin's achievements had left the societal viewpoints far behind.

". . . All of his life, aspiring to serve the army, the King. . . Did I send him there at such ghost town?" Lord Lester sobbed with his tea cup left untouched on the table. ". . . He doesn't keep it back to even live an extra blink of luxury. . . Always ready to serve the public, his friends. . ."

Samara's jaws clenched as each word of her soon to be father-in-law was breaking her heart. The very face of Rodwin which she had seen in the faint light of the dawn would spread in her mind and make her feel the utmost longing for him. She just wanted to run after him to wherever he had gone, to catch him and hide him for herself and let no else see him.

He was so precious and this village was dying to kill him.

Her eyes squeezed at the thought, making the unshed tears slide down her cheeks. If he hadn't gotten the consciousness back that soon, the Knights could have been successful in hurting him. Killing him.

Her fingers shook at the mere glimpse.

How much helpless she felt at the moment, she couldn't describe to herself. She could have lost him too just like Samuel lost Ida.

After Logan and Rodwin ran away, a havoc had erupted. The villagers had gotten scared and mad. Those who had paid heed to Violet's rants, tried to hit Preston and Lori's parents. Those who believed in Lord Commandant's words religiously had surrounded Lord Lester. If it hadn't been her father, Samuel, Jeffery and his father, the crowd could have hurt him.

Violet's father had helped too. They all managed to reach their own houses. It turned worse when six to eight villagers stood in front of their house and started demanding the answers to why Rodwin was gone.

Being absolutely upset with show of hatred, Samara's own father had burst out on the crowd in anger. He scolded them about how he had fought wars and served the public, not for this day. He demanded patience until the next royal message would arrive. The villagers scattered away with angry scoffs and huffs.

Half the Knights took their positions around the colonies to keep eye on the happenings. Some of them had followed Rodwin and Logan already. Some were still investigating around the forests, looking for more proofs about the possible crimes that happened and could happen. Erasmus and some others had accompanied Lord Commandant and Nathaniel to the royal city to see the modern doctor.