[52] Burn

The evening was full of chaos. The night was messy.

He stared up at the moon with extreme pain in his neck and the back. The wounds weren't healing quickly. The blood was leaking and he was still at the edge of dying.

Why? Because he had been unable to get the moonlight.

Looking at the only powerful thing that scared him in this universe the most, he felt how it was also enhancing his power. If the sight of that beautiful moon revived the beast in him, it also healed him like a magical herb.

He held the collar of his shirt. Untying the hooks and buttons one by one, he removed his shirt and felt the moonlight tickling his skin.

The hole in his shoulder and back started closing. The pain of holding spikes inside his body was gone. The blood that was leaking now dried up. The limbs inside would heal too. A victorious smile lifted the corner of lips.

The marks will be gone too by the morning.

.

.

.

___

.

.

.

Someone shook her shoulders hard, making her wince.

Samara opened her eyes and caught her mother's worried face. She looked around and found herself sitting near her mother's bed on the floor. She must have slept waiting for her brother who hadn't returned after walking Violet to her home.

Her eyes widened. "Samuel? Samuel. Has he returned? Mother?"

Before her mother could even say something, Samara observed her face. Her eyes were filled of tears and her nose was red. Samara glanced at the candle lit on the drawer near her parent's bed. She glanced at the side of the bed and found no one.

"Where's father? Did he go to find him?" Samara's worry increased to uncertainty. She was utterly scared.

"Samara. . ." Her mother was hurrying to say something but she couldn't. Behind her, Violet showed up, throwing a cloak towards her.

Samara gasped, her eyes widening at seeing dried blood on Violet's cheek, her neck and hands.

"There is no time to answer your questions," said Violet, almost choking out through a pressed sob. "Something is very very wrong. You need to come with us."

"What happened?" Samara looked wide-eyed at her mother. "Is Samuel fine? Tell me!"

Her mother was ready with a shawl wrapped around her. Violet's hair were disheveled and she also seemed desperate.

"Ida, she. . ." Violet wept softly. "She is dead."

Samara's jaw dropped in extreme shock.

"And they have caught the beast. It's . . ."

Samara's heart started throbbing in utter terror as she waited for the name.

Violet gulped hard. "We need to reach there as soon as possible, Samara. They will burn him on the stakes. . ."

"Who is it?" Samara cried in uncertainty.

Her mother turned blank while Violet offered her cloak.

.

.

.

____

.

.

.

It was four in the morning. The hourglasses were starting to fill up with new round of sand.