[16] The Night Is Young-III

The music flowed through the air slowly, dominating all the whispers, the gossips and the talk of the kingdom. Someone was rewarded, some was regarded. Some of them wanted nothing but to enjoy the night.

The Royal wine, the royal dance, the royal people-it was a royal night.

Yet the King's heart was shrinking in suspense. The moon was full already but as his minister had told. The hourglass wasn't turned yet.

"Those seven are here, my King. The one who was injured too. The other three are not together at the moment. The Prince himself is not able to find any clue regarding the wolf," the minister informed him, in his ear.

The King placed his wine glass on the side of the chair, letting the servant filling it again. "This is full moon and we are looking for the beast. His emotions are a mess and eyes-full of fire. He's thunder. The beast will come tonight for sure. The wolf worships the moon, Lord Doris. He is changing and would show up soon. Tell the Prince to keep watching."

The minister nodded and straightened. He took a long breath and proceeded to do that the King had ordered.

The King looked back at the crowd, noticing some love birds stealing glances, ladies judging other ladies, men ogling at other women. He laughed to himself.

Only if they knew that someone from one of them was turning into a deadly beast, tonight.

_______

Samara twitched her lips as Rodwin again pinched her waist. "Stop it," she gritted her teeth.

"Not unless you stop sulking over him."

She tilted her head tiredly and stared at him. Her eyes filling up immediately, as she remembered the cornered look Nathaniel had given her while she had started dancing with Rodwin.

"I . . ." She stopped, realizing that she was not in the state to speak. Her voice was breaking and she couldn't hold the sob anymore.

Covering her mouth, she squeezed her eyes shut and pushed his chest, startling him.

Rodwin watched in shock as she hid from everyone's gaze and walked through the crowd towards the balcony.

He clenched his jaws and felt his heart beats rising in a strange motion. He glared at Nathaniel's back who was still engaged deep in a conversation with another lady.

That man was able to spoil his night without even doing anything. Without even saying anything to his love.

That was the problem for her. He didn't talk to her, didn't give her the attention.

His fists tightened as he controlled hard and exhaled heavily.

Looking at the balcony with narrowed eyes, he rushed through the crowd to follow her.

There she was, sobbing and placing her hand on the railing. All his anger drained at seeing her so much broken. Even the playful mood of his had went miles away.

He breathed out in defeat. "Oh! Samara."

She sniffled and turned her head away from him, not letting him see her face. "Just go. Leave me alone, Rodwin. I am sorry for spoiling your dance. But I cannot dance anymore."

He shook his head sadly. "Why are you crying?"

She stared at him in disbelief. "You don't know. You didn't enjoy? He hasn't given me a bit of attention, tonight. He is behaving like a stranger." She laughed all of a sudden.

"Even strangers smile at you, greet you. But he pushed me away, just so no other lady would see him with me. Why, Rodwin?" She walked to him and held his collar.