[56] The Seventh Night-II

Folding the papers back in his pocket, he chewed on his lips in frustration.

Logan flared his nostrils and cursed to hinself, "Fuck it! How could there be no temple?"

From being drenched head to toe in the rain, the gusts of winds were only doing more horror. He was getting numbed by the cold. But the fire to find the temple was still inside.

These four pages had the complete the map description of the cave. The way he could ask for Pylas' blessings.

Clenching his jaws, he stomped his foot that was bleeding. The fall in the pit of those skulls had been exciting. One of the bone hit him right in the knee. Thankfully, the pain was in the wound. His own bones were fine.

According to the story, Pylas went right in the pit and went out that night. But the accounts in the book had clearly mentioned how he had returned only after he chose to end his life. His wife was sick.

"Now what?" Logan flared his nostrils and gulped hard. This whole cave was a thrilling adventure. But where was the treasure? The bite? The way to own such strengths and ruthlessness.

He needed to see if these legends were true or not. If not? Then, Lord Commandant wouldn't be so passionate about reading these pages again and again. He had seen the underlined sentences. The marks. The yellowed pages. The folds for familiarity.

Either that man himself wanted to find the treasure or would ask his son to do. Nathaniel had been absent since the evening. He had knowingly mixed with the last batch of the battalion. It was clear, there was some plan.

Due to the rain and darkness, there were no footsteps. Not even time to find those steps. The rain had killed his torch and now, he had to kill his curiousity.

Stepping away from near the pit of skull, he looked towards the further path. Not a leaf or stone was visible.

The imaginations he had achieved from reading in these months, he could very well expect a deadly wolf to come out from the dark or from the back.

As if the pack wolf had heard his thoughts.

The sound of running footsteps echoed.

His heartbeats fastened.

Wasting no more time, Logan walked further quietly.

Animals could see in the dark. He would be caught easily. He had to hide. Or what if Nathaniel or Lord Commandant were here to do the plan?

His eyebrows raised.

On cue, a faint howl echoed in the background as if coming from out of the cave.

Just like how Pylas had gotten out of the cave only to get surrounded by the pack of dead wolves.

Logan shook his head hurriedly. He didn't want the same.

The steps were going louder.

He rushed ahead in the dark.

"Logan!" The familiar voice chilled his spine as he increased his speed.

The water all around slapped on the floor as he struggled to get ahead into the cave. For all he knew, he could just harshly bump into a cave wall. He was running blindly in such darkness without any thought. The fear of bumpy into a pointy wall was lesser than getting caught by this soldier that had followed him all the way to here.

Whimpering in frustration, he kept running until the floor beneath his feet disappeared. Present there was only air and soon, water.

A lot of water but not deep enough to drown him.