[70] The Final Howls-IV

"That's the beast growling out there."

Jennifer gulped while the seer narrowed her eyes. "But that doesn't mean, you are any innocent. Why would you not wake up any of us and just follow him?" The old woman said looking at him.

"I couldn't miss the chance. Could I? I am a soldier. My instincts forced me to just follow him. But when I saw another soldier coming in the way and turning into the beast, I couldn't risky my life like that when my family is dependent upon me—"

Both the ladies widened their eyes. The seer felt a hole forming in her heart while Jennifer gasped loudly.

"Another wolf. But Davis—"

Jeffery cut her off by shaking his head worriedly. "Oh God! You thought I was talking about Davis. No! I mean, Yes! I followed him walking out of this house. But when he almost reached the outer row of the forest, I saw another soldier coming from the eastern side of the forest."

The seer sucked in a huge breathe and couldn't even release it in horror.

Jennifer's hand shook as she covered her mouth in extreme shock.

"I was about to walk to him to ask what just happened. But just as he saw Davis walking away, he turned around and ran back to the forest, his very face transforming to that of a wolf with all the black fur and protruded jaws," he said anxiously.

The seer's eyes moved away while she breathed heavily. "Why would Davis go to the north side if he isn't even the beast?"

Jeffery widened his eyes and rubbed his temple. "To help the beast. To confuse people just like it always happens!"

Jennifer's eyebrows furrowed as she turned around slowly. Silent gasps escaped her mouth as she tried to take note of all the events.

"Where is Violet?" asked Jeffery while palming his chest. "I need to go and inform Samuel or anyone who is nearby. Maybe, the Tailor's husband."

The seer shook her head. "Logan came. Seeing you and Davis gone, they both went out with the thought of killing the beast!"

A humorless chuckle left Jeffery, his smile faded as he asked, "Why in the hell would she do that!"

Jennifer breathed erratically while looking at the window, out at the thunderous rain falling nonstop. "Did you say that he just transformed half of his body into the wolf knowingly?" She asked fearfully.

Jeffery nodded restlessly. He looked around to find some stick. "He did. But I could only see his wolf head. Who knows if his clothes must be tearing up? I had already turned round and started running away. Facing him would have been no bravery when I had no strategy or weapon."

"You did right, Jeffery." The seer said while smiling sadly at him. "That's what any responsible man would do. But did you see who it was?"

Jeffery shook his head. "I couldn't recognize him in the dark." He scoffed angrily. "Must either be Nathaniel or Logan or Earl!"

Jennifer gulped worriedly.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"I swear, I am going rip his furry balls off tonight." Violet said through gritted teeth.

On her each side, Logan and Earl were walking quietly with their faces twitching at the discomfort.