[28] The Beaten One

Even when all of her sorrows had surrounded her, a sight of him had started spreading the peace in her mind. How it was possible that the heart which was drowning in shame at feeling those glares upon at her, had started to fly up as if it had gotten the wings? No. It hadn't.

What her heart had suddenly felt was the support of her love, the very presence of his had wrapped arms of protection around her. She couldn't feel the same shame anymore.

"Rodwin," she couldn't believe her eyes for once. The man whose stomach was all clawed, head was injured brutally, was standing there in front of her all in his muscular glory.

She blinked, feeling a strong wave of emotions passing through her heart when the events of last night flashed through her mind. Her eyes had started to burn as the urge to throw her arms around him came strongly in her heart. She wanted to confirm if he was all fine. She wanted to know what he had gone through, dealing with the beast because of whom her brother was being inquired in the court of the Kingdom.

But the way his eyes moved on her body, getting downwards to see the trauma that she was dealing with had an impact on her health. She looked weak. She was weak and needed his support.

Samara's tears hung at the lashes when his gaze moved up and settled on her face, observing her swollen-bloodshot eyes and pale skin. Her eyes lowered as the slight thought of looking ugly to him came in her mind. But he grunted silently, catching her attention when he was picking up the bucket using the arm which was bandaged near the elbow.

She forwarded her hand to stop him but one straight look from him had torn her. Those grey eyes were not just dealing with the horrors of last night, there was more to it. As if he knew what happened to Samuel and it wasn't fair. She couldn't see pity or remorse, all there was a hidden anger beneath the mask of blankness.

She blinked her tears, getting straight when he too did. Her eyes moved around under the blanket of her long lashes and she could see that all the neighbors were there to witness the victim helping the sister of the criminal. She couldn't feel right then.

What if deep inside, Rodwin was upset with Samuel for attacking him? What if he truly knew that her brother was the beast and was now helping her because he felt her pain?

She gulped.

"Rodwin, I can do it. . ." Her breath hitched when he looked around immediately, glaring at every person who was being nosy for no reason and unfair without any proof.

Goosebumps risen on her skin when he put an arm around her shoulder while facing the direction to her home. Her heart had almost stopped beating when she caught her father watching them from the window. She gulped, not believing that this was happening.

Yet she knew, instead of being afraid, she should only be grateful to Rodwin's act of kindness. She looked up at him sideways when they finally started walking. Raven hair were falling out from the bandaged that had been wrapped around his forehead. His eyes were narrowed at the ground ahead, thinking hard while jaws were clenched.

She couldn't dare ask him if he was feeling better now. She couldn't even dare to open her mouth. She was so ashamed of ever doubting her love for him because of a shame of man like Nathaniel, she had thought she loved.

He entered through the little iron gate, and walked inside. Samara couldn't move her eyes up in nervousness as her father was still standing with those stern expressions and arms crossed across his chest.

"Lord Hampton," said Rodwin, nodding in respect just like he used to do since childhood.

Samara couldn't understand his behavior, nor her father who furrowed his brows. His arms even loosened as he opened his mouth to speak, "Rodwin, wait."