[62] Saint

Rodwin stared at his father with clenched jaws. Samara was sitting at the chair beside a little table that her fiance had cleaned for her to use for dining. He was sitting on another chair beside her.

Lord Lester was sitting on his single bed with a grim face. He was barely eating the food from his plate.

"Tell me the names, old man."

Lord Lester shook his head quietly. "That was expected," he said while rubbing his bruised forehead where his son had put the very paste he had brought for his injuries. "People do that when rumours flee around."

"Scoundrels do that to show off their frustration," said Rodwin calmly, fury rising in his eyes. "Why did you not return home then and there? Why selling the rest of the vegetables? Do you not have will to live? Why putting your life in danger?"

"So only you have the right to do that?" His father taunted in irritation. "I had to bring them flowers and sweets for us. We will be celebrating tomorrow. Won't we? And Samara would be needing the veil. I got your mother's veil enhanced and the tailor will deliver it here. She is a nice lady. She hasn't believed any of the rumours."

"But she lives right beside my home," said Samara worriedly. "Your forehead is already swollen. You both aren't safe outside."

"Neither are you now that you are here," mumbled Rodwin while chewing his food angrily. "How many of them?"

"Five or six."

Rodwin's chewed quietly while Samara gulped hard. "What did they even say?"

Lord Lester ate the bread slowly. "Monster's father; If my wife was monstrous too; If I do dark magic at night; If I am cooking lambs for you each night or just giving you raw meat and much more. They were just angry people, blinded by their loyalty towards Lord Commandant."

Samara covered her mouth while putting morsel back on her plate absentmindedly. Rodwin noticed it keenly.

"How can they say those words to you? You have been growing vegetables and fruits for this whole village. Everyone prefers to buy them for you because you have not been just a great farmer and supplier, but a good man too. You would accept the delay of payments and everything," said Samara with a worried look on her face.

Lord Lester chuckled sadly. "Circumstances change everything, child. You don't know what can happen in the next moment. It is just destiny. What is written in our fates, happens. This tough time shall pass. I met Violet in the seer's house. She told me that Erasmus has been removed from his duties for how he followed Lord Commandant's orders without any reasoning. The Knights are now investigating the deaths in detail."

Samara raised her eyebrows hopefully. Rodwin was eating his food quietly.

"But I did invite Violet to the church tomorrow," said Lord Lester with a sad smile on his face. "She was leaving for Ida Hopper's funeral. She said that nothing could be better than both of you getting wedded. It would be refreshing to see white after seeing a crowd wearing black, she told me. The seer would have come too if she didn't have to take care of Davis and Je. . . Jennifer."

Rodwin drank water while Samara passed her soon-to-be father-in-law a soft smile.

"Logan is still not informed. I'll go meet him," said Rodwin while finishing the last morsel. He looked at Samara with a raise of eyebrows.

"No. You are not leaving this place," said his father with a firm expression.

"I will take my sword along. We also have to reserve a carriage for ourselves. Have you forgotten?" Rodwin said thoughtfully. "Since Davis is some other changed man, now. I would simply ask Logan to arrange for it."