[43] Beggar To Bigger

Opening the door, Samara stared at her mother, feeling restless to continue reading the book.

"Mother, I am only here in my bedroom. I am not digging a cave out of my room's floor to escape from this village. Why do you keep calling?" She asked desperately.

Violet stood up and hid the book beneath the mattress while lowering her eyes.

Her mother stared at her, giving her a blank look.

"Ida is here."

Violet looked straight at her while Samara felt shocked and confused.

"What?" Samara whispered absent-mindedly. "Why would she come here?"

Her mother shook her head, flaring her nostrils in anger. "If I say any word to her, that will be for her to leave. You ask her."

Samara sighed heavily while leaving the room. Her mother followed her immediately, stepping down the stairs.

Violet took that moment to put the book in the inner big pocket of her bluish cloak and left the room.

Ida stood quietly near the door and jumped up when Samara got down the stairs and gave her a hard look.

"What happened, Ida?" Samara gulped, remembering her brother would never want her to talk to Ida rudely, ever.

Ida lowered her eyes, breathing hard.

"I don't want to marry him, Samara."

Samara exchanged a glance with her mother while Violet frowned.

"Why don't you tell this to your father?" Samara's mother said, angrily.

Ida flinched at the high tone while shakily wiping the sweat from her face.

Violet moved her tongue inside her mouth while observing Ida's beautiful face. Her dirty blonde curls and Rosy cheeks were out of this town. She was wearing a fancy teak coloured cloak over her silky blue gown that had lace attached on the neck and waist.

"I did. But they are forcing upon me this marriage. Lord Commandant and my father has a great friendship. They don't want to disappoint each other," explained the girl, Samuel loved so much.

"My brother doesn't want you anymore, Ida." Samara said, slowly. Her heart shrinking at seeing the shock and pain in Ida's beautiful brown eyes. "He has moved on from the pain you gave him. I am sorry, Ida. We can't help you."

"No. Don't say that, please." Ida sobbed, staring at them. She brought her hands forward and intertwined her fingers, begging them. "I am afraid of Nathaniel. He goes every night to the forest with a lamb. He comes back empty-handed. He asks me to mate with him even before the marriage. Samara, please help me."

"Nathaniel is not that kind of a person," said Samara, unsurely.

Ida shook her head. "You don't know him. He is a frustrated man. His mind is not at peace. He pricks his nails in my skin whenever he holds my waist. He is a bipolar. In front of people, he acts like he is fine. But when he is alone, he is angry."

"Tell your father about this." Violet said while coming forward. "Why are you suffering so much for your father? My father must not be rich like yours but he would never let me suffer those things."

Ida sobbed heartily while lowering her face. She suddenly gasped and looked up at the three women.

"Samara, do you remember? I have told you that I doubt, Nathaniel is the beast."

Violet narrowed his eyes while Samara clenched her jaws.

"During our betrothal night, my father and Lord Commandant had drank wine together in our study room. While Nathaniel and our mothers were eating deserts, I had eavesdropped our father's secret conversation-"