[59] Expectations

"Someone else was there along with the three of you."

Violet's words had created an unsettling silence around the room.

Logan was partly shocked from his own realizations. According to him, if all these people believed that the rainwater was there in that pond with the so-called Pylas' paw in it. Then, he wasn't the one who drank water. He had spat it out right there because of the bitterness. Instead, it was Rodwin who had unknowingly swallowed the water. Because he ran out of breaths while swimming.

Even by merely touching the tip of tongue to a liquid, one can know the taste. If he announced that the water was bitter, it didn't mean, he had gulped it down the throat.

Davis glanced at the seer and Jennifer absentmindedly. If he wasn't afraid as a soldier who was investigating things, that night. Now, he was surely scared of the possibility that someone else was there apart from Rodwin and Logan.

But how did he leave? Because he hadn't heard a single sound afterwards when he was checking the cabin with claws.

Had it been someone from Earl, Preston, Lorry or Brody, the soldier would have attacked him immediately. Calling him a secret adventurer or something else, the man would have made an issue out of it. Later, he would have also revealed it to Nathaniel too.

But what if the man was focused on spying and decided to share it with others, later.

But what if it was Nathaniel only? He never showed up that night. The next morning, he looked alert and awake all the time during the War.

Davis rubbed the stubble on his jaw with his fine hand. "Who could it be?"

The seer had her eyes on the surroundings from out of the window, lost in her own thoughts.

Violet cut the silence with a humorless laughter. "So, four choices? Pylas have had four choices!" She snickered with worry in her eyes. "So, who he might have considered at last, to be the Werewolf?"

"He had the four pages from the book," accused Davis while pointing at Logan. "He knew the way to the cave. He was looking for something. The treasure. He told Rodwin about it. I heard it. But that was a cover. Wasn't it? You were there to find something else! You know what Pylas wants."

"Yes, we saw the book. The pages were missing," said the seer fairly.

Logan gulped hard when Violet gave him a dead look. He blinked and let out a huge breathe. The dark circles under his eyes enhanced as the light of blankness spread on his face.

"He wants nothing but his legacy to continue," he said quietly. "His wife and unborn child died. He died too. Without giving the wolves a heir. He used the treasure. So, his side of the deal was still incomplete. That's what he wants. The deal to be completed."

Logan stepped away in thought while saying, "All these years, many men went to the Sherfield. Some might have found the cave. But either they were historians and  curious men, or the wanderers. Maybe, this was the first time, soldiers went to that cave. He was himself a soldier. The empathy is there already in the natural similarties. While a beast is also roaming around in our village already."

"Pylas has chosen one of the four soldiers as his descendant," said the seer with a stunned face.

"I didn't go there knowingly. It was spyingi I was keeping an eye. I didn't pricked my finger willingly which I don't even think, have happened," said Davis with an unwanted fear in his eyes. "I never wanted any power. This is insanity. Madness. I was only stalking Logan. Spying on him."

"So what do you think? I did it willingly?" Logan retorted with an annoyed expression on his face. "I was only there for an adventure. To just see if the books were true."