[57] Criminal

"Logan!"

Davis gulped while staring at Samara with raised eyebrows. "The shout echoed throughout the cave. It was Rodwin. I knew his voice. I stopped on my tracks and hid on the side. Logan had fallen into a pond. Rodwin too didn't see in the dark. He fell too. They made a lot of noise."

Violet clenched her jaws while standing at the door. She came forward and entered the room to let them know that she had eavesdropped. "That doesn't mean, he is the Werewolf. He was just curious to look for the treasure."

Samara glanced at her friend while parting her lips. The environment in the room had tensed further.

Davis gave her a humorless smirk. "I crawled ahead to the path after some moment. In fear of falling, I kept alert while checking the floor. I stayed back enough to not let them feel any other presence. Wolves were howling outside. I was equally scared of them entering the cave. Rodwin and Logan talked about the treasure."

"That still doesn't mean, he is the wolf!" Violet said through gritted teeth.

Davis flared his nostrils. "Rodwin was following Logan, just like I was. Except he reached there before me. But before Rodwin could reach there, Logan still spent time in the cave. Just when Rodwin neared him and shouted his name, Logan knowingly fell into the pond. It is completely suspicious. He didn't tell Rodwin about the power of wolf that he was looking for."

"There is no such thing," said Samara while shaking her head. "It's not like there was some wishing well where he had asked to become a werewolf. I bet most of them didn't even know what a werewolf is. Did you know?"

Davis sighed heavily. "Logan had been reading Lord Commandant's books. Just like Rodwin had noticed his new habit, I had too. And what if the pond was truly a wishing well? Logan had accidentally drank the water while swimming away. He spat it right away saying, it was bitter. This meant that he had swallowed the water. Didn't he?"

"Swallowing the water from a Werewolf's paw can make someone a Werewolf too?" Davis said knowingly while observing their faces.

Samara widened her eyes while Violet clenched her jaws. "Rain water," she said while glaring at him through tears. "My Logan can't become a beast just by drinking some bitter water full of scum."

"How could that pond be a paw? The Werewolf wasn't a giant. Was he?" Samara said angrily.

Davis tilted his head. "Who knows? That's what my logic says. I saw them swimming in that water. Rodwin might have gulped the water too. He could be the Werewolf too. But Logan was there before him. And he might have asked for it. Prayer for it? He was reading the books. He was aware of the process."

Violet flared her nostrils angrily. "What did you do after they swam away?"

Davis breathed heavily while looking away, remembering the rest of the night.

"I blew fire with the stones I had in my pocket. I made a torch and found that the water very much clean," he said, contradicting Violet's belief. "I didn't want to risk going down. I am no passionate swimmer. I did spend a moment looking around the cliff for any door or hint of treasure. But there was nothing. I turned around and came out the cave with the same way I had entered in."

"Very well," said the seer while entering the room with her hands full of a wooden box. There were bandages inside. She put it on the table while adding, "You didn't give up your soul to the Werewolf devil. Didn't you? You just came out clean."

Davis turned quiet.

Samara breathed hard while looking down at her lap. "This cannot be possible. Nothing happened on seventh night then. That water was not rain water—"