[4] Sweet or Savage

While rubbing her eyes, Samara walked to the kitchen. Picking up the empty pitcher from the floor, she straightened and thought of doing her daily routines.

But she couldn't guess why she was feeling strange to go outside. Maybe watching so many injured people and dead bodies continuously, had made her paranoid. The fear had settled so deep, she expected to hear wails and cries of ladies even today.

"Samara," came loud voice that startled her.

She gasped and looked at her brother in surprise. "Samuel. Do you need anything?" she asked awkwardly, not sure if she would get a proper answer.

Her brother had changed. As if the person with whom she used to laugh and share gossips had lost somewhere in that war place.

The person who had returned was absolutely strict and quiet. She still hoped that he would get fine soon. So, he too could go to the training sessions like other soldiers, if he needed to win Lord Commandant's trust.

Moreover, she missed his cheerfulness.

"I called you for two times. You didn't hear until I nearly shouted your name. What has stressed you?"

His voice had turned more raspy due to sickness and it made him sound more rude. Still she nodded briefly and looked at him. "I was just thinking about yesterday. The dead body, it was horrible. Going to the well will remind me the whole picture again since the crowd had gathered there only," she muttered while lowering her eyes.

She heard him stepping ahead and picking a glass from the shelf. He tried to bend but winced. Samara immediately walked to him and offered him her hand.

"Here, let me."

She took the glass and bent to take the water from another already-filled pitcher. Passing it to him, she straightened and sighed.

"I shall go. Tell mother that I have cleaned all the rooms. Then, she may work on making your paste," she said while walking towards the door.

"Samara?"

She stopped and turned back to look at him. He was drinking water and put the glass on shelf while wiping his mouth with other hand.

"Thank you."

Her eyebrows raised as she shook her head slowly in confusion. "For what?"

Samuel swallowed and blinked in acknowledgement. "For taking care of mother. For taking care of our home behind our back. I know how hard it can be without father and me."

Samara smiled tiredly and was about to shake her head when he further said, "Within seventeen days of our absence, you have taken care of all the tasks. You bring water in father's place. You bath the cows. You watch the horses. You bring the wood sticks and many more things that I can't count. For all of that, sister."

She shrugged her shoulders and bowed. "Then, maybe I have gotten mature. I am not little anymore. Now you too get well, so you too can help," she said playfully, feeling positive that he was back to his old self.

Samuel sighed and looked at the floor. "I can not wait to. There are many things I have to take care of," he muttered while looking back at her with serious expressions on his face.

Samara smiled briefly. "They can wait. But for now, go rest. I too shall go or there might be rush."

Samuel nodded. "Beware of the mud. It rained last night."

She turned around and nodded.

"I will, brother," she said while walking out of the kitchen, finding it strange.