[34] The Sinner Is Sinister

Cloaks and breeches hung on an iron rod, supported by the two high chairs, placed right in front of the fireplace in her parents' room. The sky had turned silent as if to now listen to the discussion of Hamptons. Since the whole village was sleeping except for them.

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" Samuel stared at his mother and Samara, horrified. "The Beast was right in our backyard?"

Lord Hampton was quiet, not being able to see the weakened state of his wife. While Samara was awfully quiet. Her mother was awake from her screams. When Samuel entered her room, she couldn't care about his wet clothes and hugged him tightly, crying her heart out.

It took a whole moment for Samuel to calm down his mother and make her believe by telling that he was released. There was nothing to worry about. Lord Hampton couldn't keep his worry locked for longer as he immediately asked his daughter about seeing the beast.

Samara nodded at her brother, looking at him keenly. "He is gone now. Must have killed some innocent person. I am tired of thinking about him. Now, all I want to be sure that you are safe," she said slowly, lowering her eyes.

Her mother smiled sadly.

Samuel sighed heavily, exchanging a glance with his father. "They released us when none of us stopped from defending ourselves. None of us had to say anything that could make us suspicious. The King let us go. But I know, he will try another method to find out who the beast is."

"What method?" Samara asked curiously.

Her father shook his head, "We don't know. But there is something strange going on. You see, there were different questions for each of the suspects. Why did they call just three when know the whole of ten soldiers play part in the tragedy? Because of everyone, one of them have gotten hurt and now he needs to die because he has become something dangerous."

'Save the beast.'

Her conversation with Violet was revolving in her mind. At least, her father was accepting too that the soldier who became werewolf wasn't at fault.

". . . There is a big politics going on. Nathaniel is being favoured. The Law minister seemed corrupt to me the way he treated Samuel," Lord Hampton confessed through gritted teeth. "And that bald monster, I don't like that Commandant anymore. He is being partial to his son. His cunning and confident smile is hidden for now. But I know, something is wrong."

Samuel gave his mother a warm smile. "But you don't have to worry. Now, I am here. And you yourself noticed that while I was away with father, the beast was here. I am not the Werewolf."

"My son," his mother cupped his cheek, laying her head on his shoulder as he was sitting near her on the bed. While Samara and her father was on different chairs.

"Why did you both get so late if you were freed in the noon only?" Samara couldn't resist asking because Violet had informed her everything Logan had told her.

"How do you know, we were freed in the noon?" Samuel's eyes narrowed.

Samara's nostrils flared as she breathed heavily. "Violet had come. She has gotten the news from her neighbors."

Samuel exchanged another glance with his father while he replied, "We had a task to do."

"What task?" Their mother asked.

Samara was waiting for the answer as both her brother and father were giving each other time to began.

"Where were you both? The rain hadn't started in the noon. So, where were you?" She asked again.