[55] The Seventh Night-I

The moon was bright up in the dark sky.

Faint chilling breeze was flowing, bringing the metallic taste of blood along. The night had darkened but not as dark as the day was.

They had massacred the fourth army sent by Burnslenian King. The enemy King wasn't ready for any kind of negotiations, the statement came from among the Knights. He was very much offended by the presence of Walderstone Army in the Sherfield in the first place.

Observing the injured soldiers, Davis was sitting in the corner of the tent.

Lori was helping Preston by tying a cloth tight around the small gash on the forearm. Brody was wiping the blood of his knees. In this chilling night, he had removed his breeches.

Preston winced while breathing hard. "Easy. Easy."

Lori gave him an annoyed look and pushed upon his wound with the cloth harder. Preston let out a faint cry and hit him on the chest. Lori snickered while Earl entered the tent, holding a bowl of curry. Drinking it slowly, he sat on the blanket.

"Where is Nathan?" Davis asked in a low tone.

Earl looked at him, observing his wet hair. "So, you got stuck in the last group too. They all came late. Nathaniel is out near the fire that the Knights created. He is drying himself up. Go. You need to get dried too."

Davis blinked calmly. "No," he said while sighing heavily. He raised his leg up and put it on the other knee. "I'll just go to sleep. I am exhausted. Tomorrow, Lord Commandant will send the ones with no injuries to the front."

Earl chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. He sipped upon his soup and suddenly asked, "You had your share of the curry? Hot and strong. You will get the warmth."

Davis kept quiet while giving him a weak smile. "The morning tea will be enough for me."

Preston, Lori and Brody stopped their actions to look at Davis in surprise.

"Quite the will, boy." Earl commented with a raise of eyebrows. "When frost will hit you, it will hurt like a bitch in the mind. You'll be numb. Heat and strength is needed after a tough day."

Davis sharpened the posture of his foot and removed the heavy knee-length boot. The nose scrunching smell filled the tent. "All I need is my sleep, brother. Do you know if Nathan will sleep here only?"

Earl and Preston exchanged a glance. "Why do you ask?" Lori enquired with a stern look. "You want to fuck him, boy? He is prettier but seems like there's some purpose you left licking Rodwin's butt."

Davis opened his mouth while rolling his tongue over his cheek from inside. "First of all, I am as much as the boy as you all are. As much as the man you all are. Rodwin has always been a friend. He need not treat his mates like followers to consider himself a leader. You all lick butts enough to think that all friends do that," he said through clenched jaws while removing his another boot.

"No. For me friendship doesn't mean following orders or ordering followers. Friends are equals," he said while wincing hard when it was the turn for warm socks.

"Then, what happened with Rodwin and Logan?" Brody asked with a scoff.

Davis blinked. "Opinion changes. Time changes. Nathaniel has been good to me and I will return the favor. That's all. It hasn't ended with Rodwin and Logan yet. The first three nights, I slept in their tent. It is all same."

All of their eyebrows raised at seeing the paleness of his foot when he removed the socks.

Earl smirked humorlessly. "It is fine, pal. Your bitterness tells me that you have been hurt or is in love. You didn't like our jokes. It's fine. But keeping aside the jokes, your feet are pale. You want me to burn some sticks for your feet for some heat?"