[26] The Wolfish Soul

The torch was burning on its full capacity despite the harsh air that had surrounded the forest. Logan was highly intrigued to find out about who was the beast at last. He was scared, very scared of the undeniable power of the predator that was lurking under the shadows. In the craze of catching that beast, he could get himself killed. But with Erasmus' strong spirit, he felt like he could  make it happen.

They could together end this beast, tonight.

But the question wasn't getting answered even when they had reached too close to the loud growls. They were shaking the soul of the woods. All birds and animals had hid themselves away from the beast's gaze who seemed angrier tonight.

Logan couldn't describe how familiar it was to the night of the full moon. He had gotten the clue right in front of his eyes. The claws on that iron door proved everything. He had his doubts on Nathaniel but again, anything could happen. The beast could be one of Samuel and Jeffrey too.

He sighed heavily in deep confusion. It was getting too narrowed to conclude yet too hard to confirm who it was.

But why would Samuel dare to run at all cost towards the forest, not caring if he was denying the King's orders? Logan was highly shocked and felt his doubt shifting towards Samara's brother.

The silent soldier who would always share his talks with Jeffrey and his arrows. He never cared if he wasn't in Nathaniel's circle or was against it. He was on his own, determined and faithful towards his kingdom, fulfilling his dreams like a true son, a true man. But what happened at the full moon night during the war, Logan had learnt that Samuel was a great brother too.

"Shhh. . ." He stopped at listening to Erasmus' whisper. Both of them exchanged a glance when the last growl turned into a loud howl of victory. Goosebumps risen on their necks as they shook their heads in shock.

"Someone is harmed," concluded Erasmus.

Logan widened his eyes. He hurriedly glanced at their weapons and yelled while rushing towards the direction of the sound, "We need to find the victim before he dies."

Erasmus scoffed while running along. "He would be dead already."

Logan could swear at how he felt shivers running down his spine. He gulped and ran faster, not caring about any pits or branches and kept wondering about who could be the victim tonight.

_________

Hearing the loud howl of victory, Samara shuddered hard. She screamed when she felt two hands on her elbows. She turned around and staggered back away from Nathaniel who was trying to hold her in comfort.

"Stay away," she yelled with a voice full of pain and worry.

Her eyes moved back on Lord Lester who was sitting down on the ground with his head in his hands, like a defeated man. She sniffled slowly while wiping her eyes.

"It's the howl of Victory," said Nathaniel reluctantly. His eyes observing Samara who wasn't looking at him a bit. He flared his nostrils. "Either your Rodwin killed your brother, or the opposite."

She turned towards him, glaring hard while confessing, "How much I regret giving my heart to you!"

Hurt flashed in Nathaniel's eyes as he clenched his jaws immediately, not liking what she said. He walked towards her, was making a move to hold her hand when a manly scream echoed around.

Lord Lester got up when they all caught a worried Logan running towards them. Relief flashed in his eyes when he found them standing there.

"Oh! Thank the Lords," he yelled while worriedly running towards them. He didn't waste any time to look at Samara and Lord Lester as he had already noticed Nathaniel. He rushed towards him and panted hard.