[46] Risk

"Samuel."

Their eyes met like the lightening striking the sky. Violet observed his face with a frown. "What are you doing here?"

"Risking my life," said Samuel through gritted teeth. "Do you have any sense or not? Have you been taught of intelligence? Have you heard of the word 'warning' or 'death'?"

Violet narrowed her eyes, blinking her wet lashes in the faint irritation. "Who are you to ask me? Leave my hands."

Samuel flared his nostrils while leaving her one hand and tugged on her wrist that he had still caught tightly. "The beast is roaming around to kill us," he muttered while walking towards the street.

Violet winced at his tight hold and walked along him forcefully. "Samuel! What are you doing?" She twitched her lips in pain. "Leave my hand! Where are you to taking me?"

"To your home, woman!"

She clenched her jaws and tried hard to get her hand loosen from his hold. But Samuel was determined in his actions. He kept walking while looking around in the dark sharply.

"There must be a pit somewhere, here." She warned him when they reached the familiar street. "Beware."

Samuel only glared at her sideways while continued walking.

"Have you been following me?" The thought came to Violet as she immediately asked him.

"Samara told me to."

Violet huffed angrily. "Why?"

"Because look around you, woman! Rain, thunder, beast! If you want to die, then choke yourself with a rope at your own home. Do not pull my sister in between your plans. She has gotten betrothed barely a day ago."

Violet breathed hard while twisting her wrist in his hold. "I am not pulling her. She is equally interested in finding out. I made this plan and she was denying. But she also wants to find out about the soldier hiding beneath that beast."

They reached home while lightening struck in the sky loudly. Violet caught the pale face of Samuel, the marks of wounds at the corner of his lips and chin.

"She didn't have the heart to risk her life or break our hearts by walking over our scoldings and warnings. But being the naive girl she has always been, she cared for you. She sent me, not caring about my life, to stop you from leaving home," he explained while flaring his nostrils. "Now, get inside or I will wake your parents up and tell them everything."

"You will only be lowering down your image in front of them," she mocked while rubbing her wrist when he left her.

Samuel narrowed his eyes. "Do not tempt me, woman. I will hit you right on the head where it is needed. Go inside, already." He wiped back the hair pasted on his forehead.

Violet huffed loudly and walked towards her house. She stood in front of her door and could already hear Samuel turning around.

Immediately, the thunder ran across the sky. It all felt like a big storm. The stray dog in her street howled.

It curled her heart.

Violet immediately turned around. "Samuel!"

He stopped walking and looked back at her.

Violet gave him a concerned look. "Do not leave. The beast must be roaming."

Samuel gave her an angry look. "So, now you understand this?"

She flinched at his raised tone. "If Samara cares about my life, I must care about hers too. She won't be alive at seeing her brother's dead body in the morning."