[39] The Books don't lie-II

The fresh rays of sunlight had brought smiles on the villagers' faces.

Samara was out filling water in her pot, along with her mother. Some of the women still looked curiously at them for what happened with Samuel at being a suspect. But some were minding their business or greeting them politely.

It didn't matter to her what others were thinking, anymore.

All she knew was that the beast would be caught sooner that she could think. But how? That was still unknown.

Her brother had gone to the training grounds while her father was off to the castle, early in the morning. Now, she couldn't wait to be done with errands and read the book herself and even with Rodwin.

"Samara," her mother pulled her out of her thoughts. "Take these two buckets. I am bringing this one pot."

Samara nodded obediently, "Yes, mother." She bent down to pick up the handles of the buckets with both hands when she heard two of the women gasping loudly.

Following their gazes, her mother too gasped silently and widened her eyes at Samara. "Hurry up!" Her mother scolded, making her stun.

Samara was confused and was looking down at her gown, not finding anything wrong with it. "What's wrong, mother?"

"Go inside," her mother said tightly, making her follow the command immediately.

Getting inside their home, Samara put the buckets in their backyard while her mother put the pot in the kitchen.

"Why were they looking at-" Samara's words were cut off by her mother's rushed footsteps towards her as she pushed off the sleeve of her gown.

Her mother's eyes widened along with her own. Her lips parted in utter shock. Samara's heart curled in her chest, looking down at the pinkish mark of a size of grape right above her left bosom that was covered by the dress.

"Who is it?"

Samara felt goosebumps rising on her arm. Her heart started to drown in a pit of utter shame. "Mother. . . I don't kn-"

"You don't know?" Her mother gasped, getting horrified. "What do you mean, you don't know? Someone touched you, clearly. Samara, who is it?" She held her shoulders and shouted, "Tell me, who is it? Nathaniel?"

Samara widened her eyes and shook her head immediately. "It's not him, mother."

A thick slap from her mother turned her head with force, making the mind in her blown. Samara's eyes burned with enormous pain as tears filled them. She covered her cheek in horror and looked back at her mother.

"I have always given you enough freedom to court the person you love. But this much? Tell me, who it is? Are you deflowered already?"

Samara shook her head hurriedly, tears sliding down her cheeks. "Mother, no. No more than this."

Her mother cringed and held her forearm tightly, glaring at her. "Who is it? You know that all of these soldiers haven't been kind to your brother? Already, Samuel's reputation has been attacked by them. Already, he has been struggling with all the things Nathaniel and his friends talk about you. I couldn't believe it. But now, I do."

"Mother, no." Samara cried while holding her hand. "Believe me, mother. I am pure-"

"Then, who is this man?" Her mother gritted her teeth while glancing at the mark on her skin.

Samara gulped, getting scared of uncertain consequences. This was sudden and wrong. This was not how she had thought about telling her family about him.